Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I had an eptopic pregnancy two and a half years ago and had

I had an eptopic pregnancy two and a half years ago and had to have my filopian tube removed and my left ovary, I've been suffering since then with serious abdominal pain that feels like it coming from all over my tummy, then 3 days ago i had a scan on my ovaries which revealed half of my left ovary that was supposed to be removed was in fact still there, is this normal for a surgeon to leave half a damaged ovary behind and is it likely that this is what is causing all this pain?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

No, it is not normal, it has probably been left there as a result of false judgement during the initial surgery.

Dr Uzair :

And yes, that is the likely cause for the pain, that should be the first guess during a diagnosis since, you have a history of similar episodes which led you to have the surgery in the first place.

Customer:

so this was a surgical cock-up

Dr Uzair :

Yes, that is another term for it.

Customer:

i'm in a serious amount of pain most days and i have a 2 years old son that some days i struggle to be able to care for properly because of the pain, would i be better to have the half and ovary removed?

Customer:

i mean the remaining half?

Dr Uzair :

What else did the scan show? Was it a CT scan or an ultrasound?

Customer:

it was an ultra sound then i had an internal scan to be sure that this was half of my ovary, the scan showed that the half remain ovary and the and my right ovary were also very pollosistic (not sure if i spelt that write) but the sonograpgher said she didn't think my right one worked any way as i have not had any periods since i had my son 2 years ago

Dr Uzair :

Poycystic*

Customer:

thanks

Dr Uzair :

Sorry, I made a typo as well - its *Polycystic*

Dr Uzair :

Here is what I think.

Customer:

what i need to know is would it ease some of the pain if i had the half ovary removed?

Dr Uzair :

A detailed evaluation is in order here, if the pain you are experiencing at the moment was in fact due to the half ovary left, then the sonologist would have reported inflammation in and around that ovary.

Dr Uzair :

An ovary that is inflamed will have thick walls and fluid around it.

Dr Uzair :

An evaluation entails - a full blood count, liver function tests, renal function tests, Serum amylase and lipase tests. An a CT scan of the lower abdomen with contrast.

Dr Uzair :

Resorting to surgery just on a hunch that it might be the ovary that is left behind is not the best way to go about this and might even leave you with more problems then you started with.

Dr Uzair :

Are you there?

Customer:

i don't really think it could be anything else causing the pain it always start where the ovary is and within 30 mins my belly is swollen and the pain feels like it is coming from all over my tummy, this pain knocks me to the floor

Dr Uzair :

Any change in urination? Blood or burning?

Customer:

would the scan have shoed whether it had attached its self to any of my other organs?

Dr Uzair :

Yes, it would have, specially the internal scan - they are very sensitive.

Customer:

i have had blood in my poo and my doctor thinks its also darker than it should be could this be to do with the ovary or does it sound like a different issue?

Dr Uzair :

Bleeding per rectum is not related to the ovary.

Dr Uzair :

You have abdominal pain, abdominal swelling, bleeding per rectum and an ultrasound that shows quiescent ovaries. I would think that this is more of an abdominal - intestinal issue than something to do with the ovaries.

Dr Uzair :

I would strongly suggest that you have this evaluated as soon as possible - intestinal conditions, ureteric stones are more likely here than ovarian pain.

Dr Uzair :

Sometimes, its just adhesions (scarring and fibrosis) due to the previous surgery that are causing the pain.

Dr Uzair :

But, this needs to be evaluated and the tests that I have mentioned above are prudent.

Customer:

i don't have any problems going to the toliet, no pain all the pain is on the side i have half an ovary, my gp sent me to the gastro clinic also thinking the same and the gastro doctor sent me for the scan, saying he was sure that this was a gyne problem, then i have a scan which shows low and behold the ovary that wasn't ment to be there actually

Customer:

should i take all this as coincidence that i start getting all this pain only since i had this operation

Dr Uzair :

No, not at all, if you have had the gastroenterologist's evaluation then the next step is to go back to your primary surgeon who performed the previous surgery.

Customer:

would the scar tissue from having another operation to removed the rest of this ovary be worse than living with this constant pain i have, its definetly the ovary causing the pain

Dr Uzair :

Not if it is done laparoscopically.

Customer:

thanks for your advice i think i'll be pushing for them to remove it. you've been a great help

Dr Uzair :

Its been a pleasure.