Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

i seem to have dark lines under my big toes nail.

Customer Question

hello i seem to have dark lines under my big toes nail.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. It would help greatly to see a photo on this page but if that's not possible can you tell me more about this and is it just the one nail?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please find attached the photo.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Brandon--how long have they been there and was any trauma involved? Any tenderness?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no tenderness, no pain on or around the nail. think perhaps a week id imagine .

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Brandon. The only worry would be whether the darkness is in the nail itself or in the skin under the nail. If it were in the skin the chance of this being a melanoma would be there. But since it's only been there a week or so and from the whole appearance it most likely is a fungal infection of the nail. You need to have a doctor exam this but if it is fungal an oral medication like Sporanox or Lamisil can effectively treat it.