Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

, I have a 5 year old with a milk protein allergy which he

Hi, I have a 5 year old with a milk protein allergy which he was only diagnosed last summer, I am really worried about him because he already had a very poor diet, he will eat no fruit or vegetables and now he can't eat dairy I'm not sure what to do
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

Do you know what kind of milk he is allergic to?

Dr Uzair :

Dairy milk only?

Dr Uzair :

Please enter chat and use reply to respond.

Customer: Cows Milk protein allergy
Dr Uzair :

Alright, the only way to go around this is to get him to see a nutritionist to tailor his diet. You will have to identify different things in his diet that he likes to eat. For milk, almond milk, soy milk, rice milk can be given. Other than that you can find elemental milk formula in the pharmacy, that contains all the essentials like dairy milk but is hypoallergenic and does not incite an allergic reaction in children who are allergic to the milk proteins in dairy.

Dr Uzair :

Most pediatricians recommend soy-based formulas with added vitamins and minerals for children allergic to milk.

Customer: Ok, it says on most websites children grow out of allergies by the time there 5 but because he was only diagnosed last year is it likely to go on for a while ?
Dr Uzair :

Yes, they do and he might as well, but this might take a couple of years as the child has to desensitize to it. Which can take variable time in different children.

Dr Uzair :

You can also use amino acid–based formulas, which are now widely available and are balanced in trace elements and vitamins.

Customer: Oh right, are they available in normal supermarkets ect .....
Dr Uzair :

Most of them are available in pharmacies.

Dr Uzair :

And yes in hypermarts and supermarts as well, in the pharmacy section.

Customer: Sorry Internet died
Dr Uzair :

No problem, did you get my last message?

Dr Uzair :

<div id="mf1" class="JA_chatMsgAuthor"Customersays:

8:19 PM

Oh right, are they available in normal supermarkets ect .....

Dr Uzair says:

8:20 PM

8:20 PM

Customer: So do I force him to eat fruit and veg or just give him what he wants ?
Dr Uzair :

You can never force them to eat anything they don't want to, because they'll just vomit it out or develop an aversion for it.

Dr Uzair :

You should tailor his diet according to what he likes and can camouflage things you want him to eat in that diet.

Customer: So the best way forward is to speak to a nutritionist ?
Dr Uzair :

Yes, that will be the best course of action at this point in time.

Customer: Ok thank you very much
Dr Uzair :

It has been a pleasure.

Dr Uzair :

Please do leave a positive rating for the service,

Dr Uzair :

A bonus will be appreciated. Best wishes.

Dr Uzair :

Please leave a positive rating for the service.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.