Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Dr Phil, Following on from the last Q. What would you

Hi Dr Phil,
Following on from the last Q. What would you suggest? I recently finished another course of antibiotics but yet to feel an improvement, and they're obviously not the least worrying of symptoms! So would appreciate your advice. Many thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
I think you need a CAT scan at this point to try and determine what is going on.
It could be something like a fungal infection which antibiotics won't help
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you mean a cat scan of the chest? Would a fungal infection cause all the sympincluding the excessive secretiosecretions/mucus tinnitus (which started after an infection) the pain, wheezing, palpitations, and difficult breathing? The,previous doctor thought it was asthmatic bronchitso

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Apologies v hard to write on this mobile. How would a fungal infection start?

Fungi live in the environment just like bacteria
You can catch them anywhere
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you mean a cat scan of the chest? Would a fungal infection cause all the symptoms including the excessive secretiosecretions/mucus tinnitus (which started after an infection in Oct 2013) the pain, wheezing, palpitations, and difficult breathing? The previous doctor thought it was asthmatic bronchitis. The previous round of antibiotics helped but the symptoms returned 2 weeks later.

Yes, a CAT scan of the chest
Yes, a fungal infection could do that
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK thank you. I'm worried it is more serious as breathing is so hard. The pain too, excruciating, actually taking oxycodone to manage it but it's still there even through that. I'll ask for the CAT scan. If it was fungal, what is the treatment? Is there anything I can get to reduce the excessive mucus/congestion and also to breath more easily? Thanks v much.

you're welcome
It is just anti fungals like with bacterial infections you take antibiotics. Same thing
You could try a mucolytic agent like mucinex. Ask your doctor about this
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

But I've had 4 courses of antibiotics and still have all the symptoms. Which would work for this? Is it normal to need 30mg of morphine to manage pain from a fungal infection then? Really need a solution but won't be able to have a scan until Monday, the results another week on. Thank you again.

try the mucinex.
it might help
you likely didn't take any anti fungals yet
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will and am going into Dr next week to arrange tests. Worried it is COPD or asthmatic bronchitis though not sure if that explains the fluttering/pulpitations. Presumably to see if it's fungal is through treatment?

What antibiotics have anti-fungal properties? I've taken levaquin, amoxilin, and amoxy clav so far. The only one that had an effect was the levaquin but the symptoms returned after 2 weeks. Should I opt for your extra help or is your advice as above and that it is best to go to see the Dr and get the OTC mucinex?

Thanks so much for all your help. :)

Yes, that is correct but you could be right
diflucan, nystatin, posiconazole, etc
Yes, you should see your doctor now
please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: GP in the United States
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)