DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

, I am a 25 year old male and have recently been having

Customer Question

Hi, I am a 25 year old male and have recently been having some problems. The last few times I've had sex, I noticed what started off as a redness and minor itching on a patch to the side on the tip of my penis. I know for a fact it's not an STI. It seemed to improve after a few days but kept reappearing each time. More recently I've started developing small tears along the top of my foreskin (I am uncircumcised) and I tried to give it a while to let them heal, but it seemed as they were at the top of the foreskin, they healed too tightly and would just cause more tearing the next time.
This time I had a few tears on the front and one or two around the base of the frenulum. I decided to try putting a plaster over the cuts on the front and keeping my foreskin retracted for a few days in the hope that they wouldn't heal so tightly and stop it from reoccurring. I was feeling a bit of pain this morning, and when I went to replace the plaster I noticed the foreskin had swollen quite a bit in a few bands which look like they may contain liquid. Obviously I won't be trying to keep it retracted again!
I replaced the foreskin back to its normal position and it seems to have calmed down slightly but I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do to reduce the swelling, and also to let these cuts heal properly and not reoccur. The redness patch around the top of the penis is also present and looks/feels kind of leathery.
Before noticing the swelling I was planning on applying some Germolene to the wounds and calamine lotion to the leathery patch on the glans before maybe attempting to bandage the cuts and abstaining from sex for a couple of weeks. I still want to try this but want to have the swelling go down before retracting the foreskin long enough to apply. I have also ordered some scar treatment cream (contractubex) which apparently helps wounds to heal properly and keeps the elasticity of the skin, but that won't arrive for a while.
Am I going about it the right way? My schedule is busy and I'm very rarely free during the day so a doctor visit would be very difficult to arrange - I'm kind of stuck with products I can order over the net unless I absolutely have to see someone to get this sorted. I should also probably mention that I have always had great difficulty in swallowing tablets that aren't chewable so topical ointments would be preferable, although if necessary tablets are still preferable to visiting a doc or getting prescription meds.
Thanks!
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
No you should see a doctor
Can you attach a picture?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

First image shows the 3 or 4 cuts on the front, which seemed to have started healing.

Second picture shows the red patch on the head. The swelling of the foreskin has now gone down to pretty much normal.

(No idea why the images appear more than once each in the post!)

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Actually you have to have a doctors visit.
We do NOT replace that.
No over the counter medication is appropriate here.
YOu need a swab for the lab.
This looks like a severe fungal infection, that is the first possibility.
Another possibility is lichen sclerosis....a sample for the lab is thus required as this can be a pre cancerous finding.
The treatments are different depending on what is found.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. Obviously I was hoping to not have to see the GP but sounds like I might have to. However, I will be unable to make an appointment for probably at least a fortnight.
Since you think it could be a fungal infection, would it be worth trying some Canesten cream (clotrimazole) in the mean time? I also read it can be beneficial to switch to a low sugar diet and invest in some probiotics?
If you think I should give it a go and it doesn't clear up by the time I am able to sort an appointment I will get one booked. Would the swab test be one that has to be inserted into the urethra?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I see no real down side to trying chlortrimazole, but that is up to you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay, thanks for your help.

I will try using the cream and have ordered some probiotics geared towards fighting candida. I'll try those for 2 weeks or so and if there's not much improvement i'll make an appointment with the doc.

Do I need to apply the ointment to the red patch only, or should I apply to the whole area (including the cuts on the foreskin)?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I would overlap some.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
I have been applying the chlortrimazole cream once or twice daily, as well as taking probiotics and doing my best to not eat foods high in carbs or those with sugar/yeast in them. The rash and cuts seem to have completely disappeared, apart from a small patch above the frenulum which seems to be improving also.
How long should I continue to follow this regime after the symptoms have disappeared? I'm happy using the cream and probiotics for as long as is necessary, but would like to return to normal eating habits as soon as it's safe to do so.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HI
A typical treatment is two weeks.
The actual duration depends on what your doctor says.