Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Please tell me the best treatment attack of gout. I've

Customer Question

Please tell me the best treatment for an attack of gout. I've had gout for 25 or 30 years, and being controlled very successfully with 200 mg of allopurinol.
Perhaps I have not been drinking enough liquid. I have gout in shoulders, elbows, wrists and hands. My treatment has been to drink plenty, and take the normal dose of Allipurinol. Signed Bryan Dennis. PES I'm nearly blind and am dictating this message and can't read it.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
For an acute attack, I would suggest that you start taking a good non steroidal anti inflammatory drug like Ibuprofen 400 mg thrice a day, apply Ibuprofen liquigel thrice or four times a day with massage on the painful joint/area.
With the anti inflammatory you should also take a proton pump inhibitor like Omeprazole (Prilosec) 20 mg twice a day.
I would also recommend that you start ice therapy with ice cubes or a iced gel bag over the painful area 15 to 20 minutes every 2 to 3 hours.
This should take care of the acute attack however, if there is little benefit from the above then steroids have to be used and these are prescription medication.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best wishes.