Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Good afternoon,I have symptoms that I am worried about.

Good afternoon,
I have symptoms that I am worried about. I have a prickly feeling that started off down my right leg, it feels like I have been stung by a nettle, the feeling goes all the way down the leg, front, back & side, I have had this for a week or so, I have also noticed that this feeling has started to go down my right arm. The symptoms are slightly better when I awake but otherwise are with me all day.
The prickly feeling is only on one side of my body, what could this be?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

I ams sorry you are having prickly sensations down your right leg

this could be from a pinched nerve in your lower back next to your spinal cord

a spinched nerve in your neck or narrowed spinal canal could cause symptoms in your right leg and right arm.

you might need an MRI scan of your neck spine to check for pinched nerves and narrowed spinal canal

I see you are taking vitamin supplements and magnesium supplements.

sometimes poor circulation into your legs and arms can cause prickly sensations as well

do you have a doctor you can see to get an exam of your legs and arms and to talk about an MRI scan?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your reply, yes I have a doctor I can see, I saw him last week he told me if it does not get any better he would send me for an MRI. If it is a pinched nerve in the lower back why would this effect my arm? Do pinched nerves get better on their own? I also have an appointment on Saturday with an Osteopath do you think this will help?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
you could have a pinched nerve in your neck which can affect your arm and leg

or a narrowed spinal canal in your neck which can affect your arm or leg.

sometimes pinched nerves do get better with physical therapy or weight loss or with steroid injections at the site.

yes, seeing an osteopath can help as well

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi thanks for your help so far, Do you think theres a posability it could be some kind of alcoholic neuropathy or is this rare? The reason I ask is because the prickly feeling is in my arms and legs and it does sometimes move to the other side, I wouldnt say I'm an alcoholic but I do drink, I will usually drink 2-4 pints of normal strength beer a day, is this enough to bring on alcoholic neuropathy? If this is a problem with my lower back can that mimic symptoms of alcoholic neuropathy And other problems?
The prickly feeling is in my arms and legs, no problem with the hands or feet at present.
David
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
alcoholic neuropathy would be unlikely

but alcohol can decrease your magnesium and folate and B12 levels and your nerves need these to function properly.

I would cut down on your alcohol and take these supplements and see if your symptoms get better

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com