DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have recently been diagnosed with Hereditary Haemochromatosis

I have recently been diagnosed with Hereditary Haemochromatosis (HH). Treated with phlebotomy.
My consultant has been very surprised that as the iron levels have dropped I have had a dramatic improvement in the cerebellar ataxia which has been getting worse for over 4 years. From having difficulty in walking without holding on to walls, people etc. I can now walk unaided, put on trousers standing freely, etc.
The consultant said that she knew of no-one interested in iron deposits and CNS in the UK, who might be able to discuss the changes. Do you know of anyone please?
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
IN fact any neurologist will be quite interested in this.
Call here and talk with the department director
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/ion
They will know someone with even a research interest in this.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your interest. You suggest calling the Director. This is presumably hoping the director will know someone who has an interest in iron overload?
When I went to the site you gave me I did't see an appropriate 'call the director' box, or contact.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
No, call the institute itself, main number.
Ask to talk to the director of neurology.
In fact, as I said above ANY neurologist is going to have an interest in this.
However, talking to the institute might find you someone focusing on it.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.