Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

when I had a camera down my throat two weeks ago the surgeon

Customer Question

when I had a camera down my throat two weeks ago the surgeon removed a cyct, this was benign but they took some samples from base of my tongue and the report came back suspicious HPV, they did not mention any particular strain and said there was nothing to worry about, but I still have a sore throat
can you tell me what suspicious HPV means, does it mean likely HPv or does it mean suspicious of cancer
thanks Barrie
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi--can you tell me exactly what the final impression on the report said?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Just use respond to expert to reply Barrie
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

that is what it said

suspicious hpv

it did not say if it was suspicious I had hpv or if it meant hpv and suspiciose of cancer

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Barrie--we can continue after this but the only way truly to diagnose HPV is with a culture and a titer test for the viral antigen. There are some cellular markers that suggest HPV but that doesn't mean from what you've told me that it has been established that you do have HPV. From the report you've given me, you don't have cancer at this point
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if you need more information Barrie
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

but as my first question, are other types of hpv that effect the throat rather than just the cancer type and how lon would you expect it to keep my throat sore

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Actually usually there are no symtoms for a throat HPV infection but it can cause a sore throat. There are many types of HPV virus and not all of them are associated with throat cancer.