Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I am on 5mg prednisolone for ?PMR. I feel it is more like

I am on 5mg prednisolone for ?PMR. I feel it is more like ankylosing spondylitis. I am going on holiday tomorrow and am in a great deal of pain in my right buttock, around the SIJ. Cocodomol doesn't touch the pain, nor does tramadol and paracetemol. I cant take Ibuprofen though sorely tempted just for the five days I am away. I saw a chiropractor and from x-ray results he told me that my bones had fused at the sacrum to the bottom vertebrae and each side. I feel the manipulation he did made everything worse.
I just want to get through this five day holiday without too much pain. I am tempted to take cocodamol and ibuprofen and see if that helps.
I also take Keppra and clonazepam for epilepsy, omeprazole for Barrets Oesophagus.
What are your thoughts please?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

Why are you reluctant to take the Ibuprofen?

Dr Uzair :

Please enter the chat and use reply to respond and interact.

Customer:

My GP told me that as I have Barretts Oesophagus I cannot take ibuprofen, even though I take omeprazole

Dr Uzair :

Okay. And Where is the most pain that you experience, which region?

Customer:

Right buttock, sacroiliac joint area. It is constant, no let up. Makes me feel quite emotional

Dr Uzair :

Okay, are you going on a trip for 5 days?

Customer:

Yes, only four hour drive away. Going Monday, coming back Friday

Dr Uzair :

Okay, I would suggest that you start using the Ibuprofen liquigel to massage on the painful areas three to four times a day, that will provide a local effect and rapid control on the pain, to top that up you can take cocodamol and if you still need a top up dose you can take a gastroprotective NSAID like arthrotec 50 (diclofenac with misoprostal), the diclofenac has good pain relief properties, better than Ibuprofen in arthritis and has misoprotol in it, which is prostaglandin and serves to protect the esophagus, stomach and the intestines from the erosive side effects.

Customer:

Can I buy arthrotec 50 over the counter?

Dr Uzair :

No, I'm afraid, you'll have to ask your doctor for a prescription.

Customer:

Haha I cant even get a phone call from the doctor they are so overwhelmed with patients. I am surprised I haven't been prescribed that drug before as I have been in this state (not so bad) since 2009. Do you think what I have is arthritis based and would it be a good idea to visit the chemist tomorrow (GP shut) to get some ibrogel and whatever else they think would help me?

Dr Uzair :

Yes, well, I think that will be the best thing to do, if you can not get to your GP.

Dr Uzair :

Could well be arthritis.

Dr Uzair :

Do you have more queries?

Customer:

No, thank you for your help

Dr Uzair :

It has been a pleasure.

Dr Uzair :

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Dr Uzair :

Best wishes.