Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have pin s and needles in my face leg and feet, dodgy digestion,

Customer Question

I have pin s and needles in my face leg and feet, dodgy digestion, weak bladder, wind. Weird feelings in my chest and related area and heart beat that has increased dramatically sincere starting exercise last year what is this
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some clarification and further information.
Did the pins and needles sensation develop in all of these locations at the same time?
What do you mean by dodgy digestion and a weak bladder?
How much has the heart rate increased since starting exercise?
Do you have any chronic medical problems?
Are you taking any chronic medicines?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Started as s 20 I had Epstein Barr syndrome after birth of my daughter, followed by saw throat, panic swallowing issues and depression. No diagnosis but depression. Mostly went away, periods of depression followed, urinary tract infections, tiredness, non specific. Have lived full and busy life for over 30 years with some odd episodes, lately as stated, heart scarcity!

Do you recall what evaluation was done when there was no diagnosis but depression?
Have you been taking any medicine for the panic swallowing or depression?
What do you mean by heart scarcity?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No diagnosis, didn't mention swallowing but it has been odd, doctors thought me neurotic, over thirty years just had weird stuff going on

Are you still there

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nothing done, no support,was 21 at time doctors thought me mad, told me go away! Panic attacks I deal with, I didnt mention to you in mail about swallowing but is becoming an issue at times. Heart scary as noisy at night.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is this it?

I am sorry that this has taken some time, as it is a lengthy discussion because there are a number of physical and psychologic problems that should be considered in this situation.

It certainly is true that depression and anxiety can cause these symptoms. However, there is no test that can rove that the symptoms are due to depression or anxiety, so the usual approach is to consider the potential physical conditions, and if there is no evidence for a physical condition as the cause of the symptoms, it can be presumed to be due to a psychologic cause.

I ask about the pattern of the pins and needles sensation, as certain patterns are more typical for certain conditions. If the pins and needles sensation starts in the feet and only later affect the arms and elsewhere on the body, that is more typical of a neuropathy as the cause of symptoms. If symptoms occur diffusely at the same time, it could be related to a problem within the central nervous system, such as an inflammatory condition, but there would typically be findings on neurologic examination.

If there is concern about a neuropathy, nerve function can be assessed using electrical tests, such as nerve conduction studies or an EMG. The most common causes of a neuropathy are diabetes and alcohol use, but there are some other metabolic conditions that can be associated with a neuropathy, such as vitamin B12 deficiency or thyroid dysfunction. I ask about what evaluation was previously done to try to ascertain whether an evaluation for these metabolic conditions was done.

It is still not clear what you mean by dodgy digestion or heart scarcity. It is possible that a neuropathy can also affect the nerves of the involuntary nervous system and affect function of the GI tract or heart. However, it is not as easy to assess these nerves directly, so there is usually only an assumption that any neuropathy that is generally detected is also affecting the involuntary nervous system in someone with symptoms.

It is also common for non-specific symptoms of the GI tract to be related to irritable bowel syndrome, or IBS. It is also common for IBS to be worse in people with anxiety or depression.

If there is a dramatic increase in heart rate that is outside the normal range of 60-100, then it would be appropriate to pursue further evaluation, even though anxiety also can increase the heart rate. Heart conditions that can affect the heart rate include poor blood supply to the heart or a variety of abnormal heart rhythms.

It is possible that your doctor has already performed these evaluation when no diagnosis was made other than the depression. If already done, there would be less reason to consider repeating the test unless there is new reason to do so. If these tests are normal, then it would support that all the various symptoms that you are experiencing are due to depression and anxiety.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think it is ms, starting again as I have thought over the years, Diego think this is possible?

MS is one of the inflammatory conditions of the central nervous system that I referenced in my answer. Yes, MS can cause diffuse pins and needles sensations and many of the symptoms that you describe, but as I noted above, there also typically would be findings present on neurologic examination. If your neurologic examinations have been consistently normal, then it would be very unlikely that MS is a cause of these symptoms. If you think that your doctors have been discounting your symptoms and not done a proper neurologic examination, it would be OK to seek examination by a Neurologist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No diagnostics been done during the 30 years, regular urinary infections, experienced eye problems, electrical shock to patches of skin, generally loss is sensation to skin, what else could it be?

Any of the problems that I noted above should be considered.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Also have brain fog, but heart beat increase is this usual for ms

It can happen with MS, but it can also happen with anxiety and depression. You need to have the evaluation noted above.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am scared it is mnd

You can only get a definitive diagnosis by pursuing the evaluation noted above, and then there will be no reason to be scared of something that may not be present.