Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a pacemaker my feet and ankle are swolen

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Are you having any other symptoms, such as shortness of breath or chest pain?
Have you had an echocardiogram recently? If so, do you know the results?
Could you list the heart medicines that you are taking?
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

The first concern when someone with known heart disease is having swelling of the feet or ankles is congestive heart failure. This happens when the pumping action of the heart is weakened. Fluid then builds up behind the heart, so can cause swelling. The swelling will frequently be in the feet because of the effect of gravity. It is also common to get fluid accumulation in the lungs, so can cause shortness of breath, and if this happens, it is something that usually requires more urgent attention.

An echocardiogram is a test that used ultrasound to assess the function of the heart, and is the usual first test of the heart that is done in the evaluation of congestive heart failure. It also will usually guide decision making regarding management of the problem.

The usual first step in for treatment of the swelling would be the use of a diuretic, if not already on a diuretic. It also is important to avoid the intake of salt/sodium, as the body handles sodium and water together.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.