Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I stupidly decided reason to have a full Cancer check

I stupidly decided for no reason to have a full Cancer check six months ago (I was 1 week pregnant but didn't know ) anyway all were normal apart from ca72.4(tag 72) of 8.2, I decided to have it retested now -5 months later and it's now 13.4 but I am now 5 months pregnant (age 30), I am now worried as some websites say it doesn't go up in anything other than Cancer but others say it's an oncofetal antigen and related to pregnancy. I have a doctor appointment next week but can anyone who has knowledge of these markers help! Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Phil, MD :

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hi I'm Dr. Phil

Dr. Phil, MD :

Can I ask your first name?

Customer: Hi it's rose
Dr. Phil, MD :

Hi Rose

Dr. Phil, MD :

nice to meet you

Dr. Phil, MD :

Basically these tumor markers are not good "screening tests" for cancer

Customer: You too did you see my question - is this something you have knowledge of..?
Dr. Phil, MD :

The reason for that is because they are commonly elevated for no good reason

Customer: Ok..! That is what my doctor said..
Dr. Phil, MD :

what they are good markers of is cancers response to treatment

Dr. Phil, MD :

so if you have a known cancer and you want to monitor response to therapy then it is good

Customer: She has told me it's nothig to worry about but I am worried
Dr. Phil, MD :

I agree with your doctor

Dr. Phil, MD :

NOTHING to worry about

Dr. Phil, MD :

lots of things can raise these markers

Dr. Phil, MD :

And they should not be used as screening tests for this exact reason.....

Dr. Phil, MD :

you are going to freak people out and cause more unnecessary testing

Customer: Ok! Could pregnancy affect it as it's an oncofetal antigen? I am mainly worried as it has gone up but she said it would go up a lot more in 4/5 months if it was cancer
Dr. Phil, MD :

yes absolutely pregnancy can affect it

Customer: Yes she said they shouldn't offer tests as they aren't significant unless you have a diagnosis
Dr. Phil, MD :

bingo

Dr. Phil, MD :

I agree 100%

Dr. Phil, MD :

Your doctor is correct Rose

Customer: Ok so you don't think it's significant? Would it have gone up a lot in 4 months if t was something cancerous?
Dr. Phil, MD :

I don't think it is significant

Dr. Phil, MD :

It would have gone up in 4 months but it is impossible to say how much

Customer: Ok thank you ... I'm seeing a gastric doctor this week he also says he thinks it means nothing too . But I fee like I need more tests
Dr. Phil, MD :

So you have three doctors on the same page. :)

Dr. Phil, MD :

no need to worry

Customer: Ok thank you
Dr. Phil, MD :

you're welcome Rose. :)

Dr. Phil, MD :

any more questions for me?

Dr. Phil, MD :

If so, I'm happy to help

Customer: No I guess I'll just have to wait and see and hope it means nothing!
Dr. Phil, MD :

okay

Dr. Phil, MD :

Did I do good work for you today Rose?

Customer: And hope that being pregnant has made it go up!
Customer: Thanks for your help
Dr. Phil, MD :

you're welcome

Dr. Phil, MD :

Rose, can you do me a quick favor?

Customer: Yes I will give you a good rating
Dr. Phil, MD :

Thank you very much :)

Dr. Phil, MD :

It is how we are credited for our work so it is a necessary evil

Dr. Phil, MD :

I appreciate it though

Dr. Phil, MD :

are you able to find it Rose? Sometimes it is tough to find the rating spot

Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: GP in the United States
I appreciate the good rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)