Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

. 10 weeks ago I had oral surgery to remove a small lump

Hello. 10 weeks ago I had oral surgery to remove a small lump in my lower lip that I kept biting when I ate. It had previously removed by my dentist with a cauterising instrument, about 10 years ago, but had come back. This time it was removed at my local hospital with a scalpel. I had 5 dissolvable stitches and was told it would be lumpy for 2 - 3 months. However, it is still extremely lumpy: 3 small, hard lumps where the stitches were and one softer but larger lump to the side of the scar. There are striations where the stitches pulled my lip so tight, it feels tight and uncomfortable and I can't see being back to normal within 3 months! In fact, it's far worse than what I had removed! Am I being impatient, is it still likely to flatten out or could revision surgery be performed if necessary, preferably without stitches, as they seem to have caused the issue?
Glynne
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

surgery can often cause scar tissue in the area.

Dr. David :

if you have more surgery, you most likely will have more bumps and more scar tissue on your inner lip.

Dr. David :

why did you rate poor service?

Dr. David :

hello?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
hello?

can you see my response better now?

I would give more time for the lumps to receed.

if you have more surgery, it can cause more tightening of the area and more scar tissue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was disappointed by the brevity of your response - you didn't even mention the sensation of tightness that I now have in your first communication and I felt no sense of reassurance at all. In fact, your answer left me feeling that I would have this awful sensation for the rest of my life. Your follow-up communication, that I should give it more time, made me feel slightly better, thank you.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
surgery can often cause scar tissue which can feel tight.

with more time and healing, oftne times scar tissue can stretch and feel less tight as time goes on

I would not jump into more surgery right away

I would give it more time to heal and recover

some of the stiches might have to come out as well which can take a few weeks.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com