Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I gave up smoking 3 years ago and, suddenly about a year ago

Customer Question

I gave up smoking 3 years ago and, suddenly about a year ago my lovely, soft skin started hardening and getting very dry and unpleasant to the touch!!
I am 73 years old and fit, slim and well, am absolutely baffled, have got 3, 6,9, Vit E cream and good oil - dont know what to do any more??
Cheers
Sue Barone
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

did you have your thyroid hormone levels checked?

Dr. David :

abnormal thyroid hormone levels can cause skin changes.

JACUSTOMER-t7hz8svz- :

Thyroid is regularly checked, all well.

Dr. David :

you should see a skin doctor and see if you need to get a skin biopsy .

Dr. David :

there are some autoimmune disorders such as scleroderma which can cause hardening of the skin as well.

JACUSTOMER-t7hz8svz- :

I am fit, well, very active and eat simply and well, have you any idea why this has suddenly happened ? dont think I need a skin biopsy!!!

Dr. David :

are you not willing to see a doctor about this?

JACUSTOMER-t7hz8svz- :

I dont think you know what you are talking about, I am going, thank you!!!!

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I'm a different expert and let me make some comments here. No, you don't need a skin biopsy but it would be best to have a doctor--perhaps a dermatologist--to take a look at your skin. First off this could be a low thyroid problem and unless your TSH level were well under 3.0 I would consider that. Yes, potentially this could be an autoimmune problem so I would get a screening for that. Finally, though, this could be a simple eczema condition and that would respond to prescription topical creams. Let me know if you'd like to continue here and I'll be glad to do so
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
can you attach a picture? I would like be able to tell you what it is if you can