Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I took drugs and I was in a old broken shed I'm worried about

Customer Question

I took drugs and I was in a old broken shed I'm worried about asbestos exposure.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi--how long were you in the shed and how long ago was this? Any problems now with your breathing and have you had a chest x-ray?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was in the shed for one whole day, and I was sniffing cocaine off of a surface covered in debris of what I don't know
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. We can contrinue after this if you'd like Adem but even if there were asbstos there, one day's exposure really wouldn't put you at risk for future lung problems or lung cancer. It takes much longer chronic exposure even to give someone that risk.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I understand but I'm very scared that I could have sniffed asbestos directly up my nose because it got mixed with the cocaine because of the surface it was on.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Even then, Adem, no real harm done. If you start to have nasal discharge or stuffy sinueses let a doctor take a look but there's no worry about any long term harm with this
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But isn't asbestos very dangerous?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No, only if it's inhaled for a very long time in a chronic fashion--just a one time exposure like this isn't at all dangerous
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I understand but if asbestos was directly sniffed up your nose would that not be dangerous?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No it wouldn't. It might cause some allergic reaction with a runny nose for a few days but that would be all
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But surely the scenario I am giving you must be harmful? Because I was under the impression that asbestos exposure kills you. So directly sniffing asbestos up your nose must be highly dangerous to your health?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
As I said before it takes a very long time of being exposed to asbestos for bad things like COPD and cancer to occur--not just one time. Seriously you've got nothing to worry about here but if you're still worried just discuss this with a doctor face to face.