Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

, im female 32, and i hope your able to offer me your

hello, im female 32, and i hope your able to offer me your proffesional opinion. about 6 weeks ago i noticed a small round lump on the left side of my neck about half way down. Firstly i think if i hadnt been rubbing moisturiser into the skin, and i was applying a fair bit of pressure i dont think id have noticed it as it is not at all visible. It is about the size of a very small pea. it is not squishy but has the same sort of feeling as if you were puushing down on a grape, sort of soft. when i press on it it rolls around under the skin, and sometimes 'darts' in a different direction and when it does it takes me a few moments to find it again. it is painless and there is no redness on the skin. i have no fever, night sweats, itching or any other symptoms but im terrified its lymphoma. i went to my gp 3 weeks ago but when i tried to tell her that you cant feel it unless i tilt my head to one side she ignored me and checked my neck and head in an upright position, to be honest im even unsure as to whether or not she touched it? she asked if i had recently been unwell and when i said id had a cold and sore throat she seemed to decide it was a swollen gland straight away. i know im not a doctor but it really doesnt feel like a swollen gland. i have had blood tests for other reasons at the end of january and they all came back normal. anyway the doctor said that the gland should go down in the following 2 weeks, but its 3 weeks on and still there, although it hasnt got any larger. ive also noticed when i move it i have a clicking noise at the top of my nose. Im so concerned now about some kind of cancer of the nodes or a tumour. it is approx 6mm in size. would the blood test have been normal if i had lymphoma? should i be concerned? many thanks, Cara
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
This is not lymphoma.
You would be very sick and not have completely normal blood tests, most likely.
This is a common node, they are very common in this location.
Assuming the doctor finds it benign, it is not lymphoma.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

when you say assuming the dr finds it benign, im not sure what you mean? also i forgot to add that she told me if it hadnt gone in a few weeks she would send me for a scan. if she had my blood results infront of her and they were normal surely she wouldnt have mentioned a scan?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
On exam, small, movable, etc, not over 1 to 2 cm.
I have no idea what she would do with normal blood results.
Blood results can look normal regardless, and to not specifically test for lymphoma unless ordered that way...in fact, the only real test is a biopsy to be sure.
A scan is an indication.
Again, this sounds like a totally common and benign situation.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
contridicting information from 1st to 2nd reply.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

I am a cancer doctor

I treat patients who have lymphoma.

it sounds you are really worried about lymphoma

it is true that blood testing will not show if you have lymphoma or not

but we don't use blood test to tell if you have lymphoma

your presentation does not point to lymphoma

it is normal to be able to feel small lymph nodes in your neck.

lymph nodes are part of your body's immune system. they are there to help filter lymphatic fluid to keep you healthy and to fight off infections.

just being able to feel a lymph node does not mean it is abnormal or contains lymphoma.

6mm is a normal size lymph node to be able to feel in your neck.

you can ask your doctor to order an ultrasound of your neck, but I bet it will only show normal lymp nodes in your neck.

let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for your reply. is it normal for some nodes to be bigger than others in size? it is just that this one seems to be deeper. also i should mention that i had an ent exam in january for another reason and they did not mention anything. at the time i was proding and poking my neck but did not feel the one i feel now. i read that its possible for some nodes to inlarge if they have been damaged from proding it and checking it, is this true? thank you.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
yes, it is normal for some lymph nodes to be larger than others

you won't damage the node, but just the act of proding and feeling and squeezing lymph nodes can cause them to swell up which can make them more palpible and will make you more worried about lymphoma.

I am sure you don't have lymphoma.

don't let your anxiety get out of control with worry about lymphoma

let your lymph nodes do their thing and keep you healthy.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician