Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have had a strange feeling in my throat since January. this

Customer Question

I have had a strange feeling in my throat since January. this has recently got more noticeable and I have had pins and needles and some numbness in my leg for five days and now starting to get pins and needles in my hands and arms.
lee cooper male age 42
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

It will help if you could provide some further information.

Could you clarify what you mean by a strange feeling in the throat?
Is this also a pins and needle sensation? Or is it different?
Are you having any chest pain or heartburn?
Do you have any chronic medical problems?
Are you taking any chronic medicines?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it just feels swollen. sometimes hard to swallow or discomfort when I turn my head but not all the time.

not sure if this is relevant but I keep getting black spots in my vision from time to time

I suffer with heartburn regularly and have for a long time so I wouldn't notice.

no other problems or medication

Thank you for the additional information.

The throat sensations are more worrisome than the pins and needles sensations.

The most likely cause of the discomfort and sensation of swelling in the throat is from acid reflux, or more properly called gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). GERD may be limited to the esohagus, but also can affect the throat, if the reflux is of sufficient severity. Since you are also having heartburn regularly, it is most likely that the reflux is also the cause of the throat sensations.

Chronic throat discomfort and swelling also can be due to inflammation from allergies, but since you are having regular heartburn, the GERD would be more likely.

Diffuse sensation of pins and needles of short duration is generally not from a serious problem. It can be related to dehydration, which also can cause black spots in the vision. It also can occur as a non-specific response to stress of physical illness, such as the GERD. It also can occur as a symptom of anxiety.

At this point, it would be appropriate to treat the GERD. If you are currently not taking any medicine for the GERD, the usual first step would be to take a medicine that suppressed stomach acid, such as ranitidine or omeprazole. It also would be appropriate to avoid substances that exacerbate acid irritation syndromes, such as cigarettes, caffeine, and alcohol. It also would be good to be drinking an increased amount of fluid to improve hydration.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.