Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have pain in my heels when walking. Worse when I first get

Customer Question

I have pain in my heels when walking. Worse when I first get up and if I've been sat down. I've tried ibuprofen and pain killers. Ice and comfrey and witch hazel cream. Would I be best going to my GP or straight to A&E?
My achilles tendons are swollen too
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

When did these symptoms start?

Dr Uzair :

Please enter chat and use reply to respond and interact.

JACUSTOMER-px6bg8b9- :

Dr Uzair :

Hello.

JACUSTOMER-px6bg8b9- :

Friday it started

Dr Uzair :

Alright, do you have any previously diagnosed medical conditions?

JACUSTOMER-px6bg8b9- :

No. I had been doing a lot more walking than usual but did have walking boots on. Don't know if I've just overdone it

Dr Uzair :

Ankle swelling and heel pain can often occur due to prolonged standing and walking and in your case it seems pretty evident that you over stressed yourself by walking.

Dr Uzair :

The A and E will not really do anything for you at this point in time other than to give you some pain killers and advice.

Dr Uzair :

It is best to see your GP as soon as possible for a more detailed examination.

JACUSTOMER-px6bg8b9- :

What is the best treatment? If I rest too long it's harder to walk. Will strapping them up help?

Dr Uzair :

I would suggest that you lie down with your feet over two pillows elevated at or above the level of your heart and if you are planning to sit then place a foot rest or couch to keep the elevated. Hanging them down will aggravate the pain and the swelling.

Dr Uzair :

Other than that I would suggest that you start on an anti inflammatory like Ibuprofen 400 mg thrice a day for 2 days.

JACUSTOMER-px6bg8b9- :

But am I as well to do short steps to keep them moving slightly

Dr Uzair :

Massage from toes to mid-calf with Ibuprofen Liquigel thrice or four times a day and wear an ankle brace or an ACE bandage firmly starting from the mid foot all the way up to the proximal leg just below the knee joint.

Dr Uzair :

While lying down I would encourage that you keep the foot in gentle motion - like pressing on the accelerator of a car.

Dr Uzair :

Yes, you should still carry out your necessary activities.

Dr Uzair :

With all the above measures carrying out your activities and walking a bit will not aggravate the symptoms.

JACUSTOMER-px6bg8b9- :

Can I use both gel and tablets

Dr Uzair :

Ice packs also help in such situations, so a 10 to 15 minute ice pack therapy will also be beneficial after every 6 to 8 hours.

Dr Uzair :

Yes, the gel has a local action and does not have any systemic side effects.

Dr Uzair :

The tablets should be taken 20 minutes after a meal.

Dr Uzair :

If you have stomach problems then you should also take Omeprazole 10 mg twice a day (OTC), this is to be taken 10 to 15 minutes before a meal.

Dr Uzair :

If after all this the swelling dissipates then you can continue this therapy for 4 to 5 days. If the symptoms aggravate, then you should contact the A and E.

Dr Uzair :

Do you have any more queries?

JACUSTOMER-px6bg8b9- :

No thank you

Dr Uzair :

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Dr Uzair :

Let me know if you have any future concerns as well.

Dr Uzair :

Best wishes.

Dr Uzair :

Please leave a positive rating for the assist.