Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

my new baby has a small soft bulge on his back, it's at

Hi my new baby has a small soft bulge on his back, it's at the bottom of his ribcage by his spine it's not sore or or different colour but i only noticed it today he's only two days old. Can you help
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

Can you send a picture?

Dr Uzair :

Please enter chat and use reply to respond.

Customer: Hi I. Can't send through this app on iPad no attachment. Available.
Dr Uzair :

Okay.

Dr Uzair :

So, you can attach it with a photo site like www.photobucket.com and send me the link here.

Customer: Hes only two days old the health nurse seen it today and said to get it checked. Now it's not hard or dose not look like he's in pain.is there a email I can sent it to.
Dr Uzair :

The site does not allow us to give out our emails, unless the customer has accepted the additional services offer.

Dr Uzair :

I just wanted to rule out a myelocoele.

Dr Uzair :

Is there any hair over the bump>

Dr Uzair :

Is the skin over the bump of a darker color?

Customer: What symptoms would he have for myelocoele. And no hair or dark color
Dr Uzair :

Well, that's the complicated part, it can have symptoms and most of the times it doesn't have any symptoms.

Dr Uzair :

There are different kinds of spina bifida.

Customer: Looks like soft tissue under skin.....
Dr Uzair :

And it may also just be a lipoma.

Dr Uzair :

The only thing that can differentiate between the differentials is an Ultrasound.

Customer: Worst case? Would the docs have checked for it.
Dr Uzair :

Is there any other abnormality? Is he moving his legs around?

Dr Uzair :

Worst case - is very frank and you're doctor would have picked it up on the anomaly scan you had when you were 18 - 24 weeks in pregnancy.

Customer: Yes his legs are strong he sleeps a lot but drinks bottles and false asleep while drinking.
Dr Uzair :

That's what babies do :)

Dr Uzair :

I do not think there is anything to worry about here.

Dr Uzair :

You should have this evaluated. But most likely to be a fat pad or a lipoma.

Customer: What is a lipoma and is it curable...?
Dr Uzair :

Its just a collection of fat, yes it is curable. He can get it liposuctioned or removed when he is older. no emergency.

Customer: For some case of spina bifia is there other symptoms ?
Dr Uzair :

Yes, usually the occult type of spina bifida presents with no real symptoms just a bulge a little away from the midline. Can be accompanied with hair on the bulge or can have darker skin over the bulge.

Dr Uzair :

The other types of spina bifida - cystica and rachischisis are pretty obvious.

Dr Uzair :

And have neurological deficits associated.

Dr Uzair :

Your child does not appear to have any severe anomaly.

Customer: Again this probably would of been checked and noticed before we left hospital by the pediatrician.
Dr Uzair :

Yes, of course.

Customer: .???? Hopefully?????
Dr Uzair :

The whole baby is examined for anomalies.

Dr Uzair :

And spina bifida is not something a paediatrician would miss.

Customer: Ok thank you for your help I will give a grate ratting doc thanx a mill from Ireland. God bless
Dr Uzair :

God bless and take care.

Dr Uzair :

Please do leave a positive rating.

Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.