Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have a red penis and stings a bit when I go to toilet, I

I have a red penis and stings a bit when I go to toilet, I have had every test done including Std's and all is normal. I am 37yr old male and I have had this now 2yrs and really sick of it. Can someone help
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. It would help greatly if you could post a photo on this page but if that isn't possib le can you describe the problem with your penis?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry can't send it. Red around the head and stings a bit when going to toilet, always red and seems to be worse and sore after masterbation. What do you think?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Barry--and we can continue after this if you'd like. This is one of two things. First off, and most likely, it's balanitis--a yeast infection of the penis and not an STD. On your own you can try Lamisil cream three times a day for two weeks and that should clear it up, but, if it doesn't, then you'd need prescription ketoconazole cream. The other possibility would be an inflammatory eczema and for that a cortisone based cream would work. But I'd try the Lamisil first since if it's yeast the cortisone could actually make it worse. All that said, you should have a dermatologist look at this if you haven't seen one as yet
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Are there something that I can just get out of chemist or do they need to be prescribed? Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No, both the Lamisil and a cortisone cream are over the counter at the chemists. Give it a try and let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you Barry