Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

i need a 2nd opinion on my blood test results. i had them done

i need a 2nd opinion on my blood test results. i had them done due to unexplained weight gain, fatigue, my monthly periods are almost non existent. my doctor has put me on kelp, estradiol gel and aldactone. I want to make sure this makes sense
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort due to weight fain,fatigue & menstrual periods absence. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-
What are your test reports?
Are you diagnosed with any condition by your doctor?
Since how long your periods are stopped?
I am waiting for your reply..
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Dr Robert, results are as follows:

initial tests done 6th March 2015: TSH 1.49uIU/mL, FT3 3.9pmol/L, FT4 16.1pmol/L, Anti TG antibody 10 IU/mL, Anti TPO 0.4IU/mL.

s progesterone 2.5 nmol/L, oestradiol 176pmol/L, HBA1C (glycated) 5%, HBA1C (IFCC) 31nmol/mol.

then she sent me for more tests on day 21 of my cycle: 19/03/15

s insulin 4.4IU/mL, s progesterone 49.1 nmol/L, oestradiol 634pmol/L, testosterone 2.1nmol/L, dhea 7.5umol/L, s prolactin 6.1ng/mL, s cortisol 262.7nmol/L

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello. The other expert has opted out.

In these situations, there are several approaches that can be tried.

The intervention that your doctor has suggested that I would usually try first would be the use of Aldactone. Although Aldactone is mostly used as a diuretic, another characteristic is that it will antagonize male hormones. Of the lab tests, the level that is most outside the normal range is the DHEA, which is primarily from the adrenal glands, but also has androgenic (male hormone) activity. While the oestrogen levels are low in the normal range, I would typically try to first use the Aldactone to antagonize androgens before using oestrogen treatment, either with gel or pills.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for this. are you also ok with the kelp? would you have an opinion as to what is causing the weight gain (20 pounds over the past year) and fatigue? I exercise 3 times a week (brisk walking or jogging for about an hour). I eat healthily as well, no junk food.

I would typically try the Aldactone alone first.

It is possible that the androgen effect is causing the weight gain, both because of the effect of androgen on muscle mass and that it can indirectly affect oestrogen levels.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you Dr Love, one last thing, she has prescribed 100mg per day to be taken in the morning. Does this sound right? Also, If I start the aldactone only, when would I start using the estradiol?

Yes, that would be a proper dose. I would usually try the Aldactone for 2-3 menstrual cycles to fully assess the effect of the intervention.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

is it ok to carry on with the kelp or must I stop that?

Yes, it would be OK to continue the kelp.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.