Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

how can I lower my blood sugar level. it is at 6.9 is this

how can I lower my blood sugar level. it is at 6.9 is this dangerous ?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

is your hemoglobin a1c level 6.9?

Dr. David :

a fasting blood sugar level from 5.6 to 6.9 mmol/L is considered prediabetes

Dr. David :

low will powder is a problem. since diet and life style and exercise habits are so important in trying to prevent diabetes.

Dr. David :

are you drinking alcohol frequently? alcohol has lots of empty calories and can cause weight gain and diabetes as well.

Customer:

yes I have been a heavy drinker for many years

Dr. David :

are you willing to seek help to cut down on your drinking?

Dr. David :

there are medications like naltrexone which can help cut down on your cravings for alcohol.

Dr. David :

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2015/03/the-irrationality-of-alcoholics-anonymous/386255/

Dr. David :

is a good article

Dr. David :

which talks about the differences in treatment approaches in USA vs Europe regarding excessive alcohol use and treatment methods.

Dr. David :

and talks about how naltrexone can help cut alcohol cravings.

Customer:

I can often stay away from drink for a few weeks but have spent so much time in pubs that I find it hard to mix outside the pub atmosphere

Dr. David :

it sounds like you have to stay out of pubs.

Dr. David :

and find social areas elsewhere

Dr. David :

is the 6.9 your fasting glucose level?

Dr. David :

you might benefit from starting to do more exercise or joining a gym or exercise club or walking club to socialize and exercise together

Dr. David :

which will help your energy and keep you out of pubs and help you loose weight as well.

Customer:

yes . if I stay away from my ( FRIENDS AT THE PUB IM AFRAID I MAY START DRINKING AT HOME. WHICH COULD BE A DISASTER

Dr. David :

talk to your friends at the pub and see if they would be willing to join with you at a local gym or exercise club.

Dr. David :

or start your own exercise club where you walk outdoors for 20-40 minutes a day for exercise instead of sitting and drinking beer.

Dr. David :

this will help give you more energy and help you loose weight and help you sleep better

Dr. David :

and improve your immune system and help you get healthier.

Dr. David :

and then get some of the girls in the pub to join your exercise group as well.

Dr. David :

you should start your own pub football or cricket or bowling team for exercise as well.

Dr. David :

or pub rugby team.

Dr. David :

anything would be better than sitting and drinking beer all the time.

Customer:

I WALK MY DOG FOR AN HOUR AFTER WORK EACH DAY . SOMETIMES 2 - 3 HOURS AT THE WEEKEND. DONT GO TO PUB EVERYDAY MOSTLY WEKEND. BUT CONSUME A LOT THEN

Dr. David :

well, you need something more healthy on the weekends to look forward to than just going to the pub and drinking.

Dr. David :

try to get your friends to go bowling during the weekend nights or go out for a movie instead of the pub scene

Dr. David :

but cutting down on your alcohol on weekends, you will decrease your calories or weight

Dr. David :

and this will help you hopefully prevent diabetes.

Dr. David :

you have to start to exercise more and take in less calories and eat healthier to prevent diabetes.

Dr. David :

you don't want to develop diabetes

Dr. David :

I hope my suggestions have helped.

Dr. David :

I know it is hard to break habits.

Dr. David :

tell your friends about your health worries.

Dr. David :

if they are truly your friends, they will support you

Dr. David :

you will not loose your friends if you don't drink with them all the time.

Dr. David :

ask your doctor to refer you to a nutritionist and physical therapist to teach you new eating habits and exercises as well.

Dr. David :

best of luck to you

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

if done, please leave positive feedback below.

Dr. David :

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

Dr. David :

you might have to scroll down to see the ratings area below.

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Dr. David :

do you see the ratings area below?

Dr. David :

hello?

Customer:

HAVE TRIED IT ALL BEFORE

Dr. David :

why did you rate poor service?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--I'm a different expert here and it would seem you still have unanswered questions that I might answer for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have cut back a lot on my drink habits. and lost some weight but it is so slow I get kinda depressed and go back to old habits

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I understand but your first question was whether the 6.9 was dangerous and how to lower that. Did you still want to talk about that?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

you shouldn't get depressed.

you should talk to your doctor about this

you might benefit from seeing a therapist to talk about your feelings and your frustrations.

weight loss can be slow and it can take time.

the goal is to keep at it and keep working on trying to eat healthy and exercising and working towards getting healthier.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes but that really wasn't your original question
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Let's talk more about that, shall we?
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Just ask me questions please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I cant pay any more money for this. I have learned nothing new here

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Stick with me though--let's not focus on your drinking. What exactly did you want to know when you first posted your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

advice like food to avoid. food to increase. supplements even otc products

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. As for your diet, that should be a nutrient dense one of fresh green and leafy veggies and fruit, nuts, whole grains, coconut milk, tofu or tempeh, and no more than three servings per week of lean meats, fish, and poultry. Garlic, omega 3 fatty acids, and a multivitamin will also help. That will let you lose weight and lower your blood sugar
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician