Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

since having my wisdom extracted at christmas ive had this

Customer Question

Hi since having my wisdom extracted at christmas ive had this yellow coating on my tongue ive had two lots of daktarin oral gel two lots of nystin (i think it was called) and flucozanole tablets and nothin has worked to get rid of it. Ive been havin probiotic yoghurts and drinks since xmas. Ive had a swab done and it cane back negative for oral thrush. If i scrap it off it bleeds and cums bk even worse. My doctor has said theres nothin else to try!! Please help
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries. Please attach a picture here so that I would be able to provide you a better opinion.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi sorry i dont know how to attach a picture
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESFMEtpDkow
The video on the link above may help you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only have access to my iphone it doesnt seem to be able to add a picture, but they are tiny yellow circles ir lines that get thicker and more bright yellow as it becomes a thick patch
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

It does sound like a fungal or yeast infection from what you are telling me.

A fungal culture and sensitivity testing may help in telling us which anti-fungal medication will kill this fungus because at times yeast can be resistant to the usual antifungal medications that we use which is why fungal culture and sensitivity should be done to determine exactly which medication will cure the bug.

Another possibility is that of leukoplakia. Leukoplakia is a white or gray patch that develops on the tongue, the inside of the cheek, or on the floor of the mouth. It is the mouth's reaction to chronic irritation of the mucous membranes of the mouth. A tongue biopsy may be required to diagnose oral leukoplakia.

So it may not be a fungal infection after all.

Let me know if you have more questions. I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the smilies below. Kind regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wot do i need to do to treat leukopia? One doctor said not to use mouthwash and another has said get some chlorexydine mouthwash. Is there any over the counter medicaions i can buy for other mouth fungis that arent thrush? I have had a swab for thrush and it was negative
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
I would not use mouth washes because that is also a form of irritation to the tongue that can exacerbate or worsen leukoplakia. Leukoplakia is usually harmless, and lesions usually clear in a few weeks or months after the source of irritation is removed. If eliminating the source of irritation is ineffective in reducing leukoplakia, the lesion may need to be surgically removed. The lesion can be removed either by your general dentist or by an oral surgeon.
The medications that you have already used are broad spectrum antifungal that should have been effective for all kind of fungi.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the smilies below.
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont know wot to do then ive tried leaving it and ive tried treating it and meither works. Its really embarassing i try to avoid people so i dont have to talk. Its makin me so down now i wish i could send you the picture so you could see it
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
You could upload the pictures on www.tinypic.com and send me the link that would be present on the left hand side of the picture after uploading it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://i58.tinypic.com/259ahpe.jpg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is after being brushed off this mornin with bicarb of soda and toothpaste. Its already comein back
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

This does not look like thrush to me. I personally think that this seems like leukoplakia.

I would not use anything on the tongue.

I would just allow it to heal up itself over the next two to four weeks to see how it goes.

Let me know if you have more questions. I would appreciate it if you accept the additional services offer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So just brush my teeth twice daily and do nothin more even tho it gets thicker and thicker? Not even salt water mouthwash? As the doc told me to do that too but seems to make me sore. I have tried to accept the additional services request but wen i go on it it just cums back to this screen.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Yes you should only brush your teeth twice daily and that's all.
I would not do anything for the next few weeks.
Try accepting additional services offer again.