Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

my dad died Wednesday from Squamous cell cancer. Although what

Customer Question

my dad died Wednesday from Squamous cell cancer. Although what actually happened was he had an embolism burst the blood came through his mouth and nose. the gp we collected the cause of death from would explain what/how it happened only to say it was common for lung cancer. should we not have been told that was a possibility? can u explain what happened I was there and think it would help to understand. could I have done anythig
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

Not only for lung cancers but squamous cell carcinomas affecting any part of the body can erode in to neighbouring structures like blood vessels,cavities, viscera etc.

Dr Uzair :

Squamous cell cancers have a tendency to invade locally and cause destruction of any tissue that lies adjacent to them. Invasion and erosion is how they spread.

Dr Uzair :

In your fathers case, since the tumor was in the lung, it was naturally surrounded by a rich vascular supply and airway tracts.

Dr Uzair :

So, erosion in to a blood vessel, caused the blood vessel to bleed and that blood then filled the airway.

Dr Uzair :

I am really sorry for your loss.

Dr Uzair :

Let me know if you have any queries about this. Please enter the chat and reply to interact.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
You were appearing offline, so I converted this in to a thread.
If you have any further queries, let me know.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

did he drown in the blood or was it the huge loss of blood that killed him? could I have done anything to help? and shouldn't someone have told us that was a possibility

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for replying.
In such a case, drowning in the blood occurs long before there is significant blood loss, so the cause of the death was aspiration - in other words drowning in the blood rather than blood loss.
There isn't anything you could have done. This would have required a huge effort on part of the Emergency Services and an event like this has a very high mortality rate.
Although, these events are unprecedented and sudden and occur without warning but yes, it is a possibility and as the tumor grows, oncologists or physicians taking care of such patients should make the care takers or immediate family members aware of these events.
Diabetes-related nerve damage that blunts heart pain may explain why symptoms aren't noticed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what sort of symptons could there have been

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Additional questions can be answered if you accept the additional services offer or taken as follow ups if you leave a positive rating for the service.
Let me know.