Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

. I was a chronic abuser of amphetamine 6 years

Hi. I was a chronic abuser of amphetamine for about 6 years until about 3 months ago. I have not used it at all since Christmas. I have a rash of small spots on my stomach & back. My doctor thought it might have been foliculitus & prescribed antibiotics for a month which did not work. Now they have prescribed Balneum Plus cream which I have been using for the last week. I have not told the doctor about my amphetamine abuse. Is this rash a result of this? Is it treatable? Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. If you could post a photo on this page that would be quite helpful but, if not, can you more fully describe the rash? And when did this start?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Just use reply to expert to respond Neil
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Did you get my response Doctor?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Got it Neil--thanks. We can continue after this if you'd like

First off, this is in no way related to the amphetamines.

Second, this doesn't look like folliculitis.

My first impression is that these are mollusum contagiosa--somewhat related to common warts and caused by a virus, but not an STD or anything like that. These usually disappear after weeks to months but they can be treated with cryotherapy by a dermatologist

That said, this could be fungal and I would try prescription topical ketoconazole cream first to see if that took care of the problem

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Doctor. On my first visit to my doctor he didn't think it was fungal. On my second visit to a different doctor she was wondering if it might be psoriasis. When they first started it was after a night of very heavy sweating in bed which would make more sense of your opinion? Incidentally I will not be using amphetamine again.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No--definitely not psoriasis Neil. Good to hear about your quitting the amphetamines. You might have a dermatologist take a look at these. Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you