Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I've been see a private consultation the surgeon said I have

I've been see a private consultation the surgeon said I have a pireneal hematoma it's still the same size as a pea and it's a very hard lump when will this go! It's been there three weeks now
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

When did the hematoma form?

Dr Uzair :

Please enter chat and use reply to respond.

Customer: About three weeks ago and I saw a private consultant in the UK a surgeon he examined and did a rigid sigmoidoscopyAnd said I had a small heamatoma - but it still there its not sore it just feels like a very small hard pea
Dr Uzair :

Yes, the hematoma has organized that is why it is hard.

Dr Uzair :

When they form they are soft and the ideal is to drain them using a syringe.

Dr Uzair :

However, when they organize in to a hard lump they have to be taken out surgically.

Dr Uzair :

A small incision is made, the hematoma is evacuated and the wound is left to heal.

Customer: What do you mean organized please explain?
Dr Uzair :

Means it has hardened.

Customer: So it won't disappear then? I have to have an operation to have it removed I looked on the Internet at picture and to me it does not look like an heamtoma but the consultant said it was it's colors is like pale blue/green it's hard to actually describe the clour I can send you a link if you like so you can see what it looks like if that will help?What if I don't have it removed is it dangerous? The consultant said a few weeks but when I've looked on the Internet people say it takes about three months for it to shrink and go away?
Dr Uzair :

No, its not dangerous.

Dr Uzair :

There is a very small chance of it going away it self.

Customer: Do you think if it was some form of growth etc? The consultant would have noticed itAs I did point it out to him and he felt it and I showed him the picture
Dr Uzair :

Yes, growths that are dangerous have a different look altogether.

Customer: What's your thoughts I will send a link so you can see
Dr Uzair :

Sure, send the link.

Customer: OK https://carousel.dropbox.com/photos/cc/6LjGOskp1VfjAK5
Customer: Hope you can see it
Customer: What sort of look do growths have then
Dr Uzair :

Yes, that is a perineal hematoma.

Dr Uzair :

The surgeon can easily give some local anesthesia around it and make a small incision to take it out.

Dr Uzair :

It shouldn't take him more than 10 minutes and can be done as an office procedure.

Dr Uzair :

Do you have more queries.

Customer: Really? Why didn't he do that then? That's annoying :( so you don't have to be put a sleep when they take it out do they stitch it, I tried pushing the lump back in but bit won't go in I've just been worried thinking it's cancer
Dr Uzair :

I'm not sure why he didn't and the answer to this can be best given by your surgeon.

Dr Uzair :

Not really, it can be done as an office procedure, that is what is usually done, unless there is a specific indication for general anesthesia.

Dr Uzair :

No, it heals by secondary intention, takes about 5 to 7 days.

Dr Uzair :

It won't go back like that. It is a hematoma.

Customer: What is secondary intention? Sorry don't understand so you don't think it's a growth then it's a hematoma? Thanks
Dr Uzair :

Yes , this is a hematoma.

Dr Uzair :

Secondary intention means that it will heal without sutures.

Dr Uzair :

It will heal itself.

Customer: OK thankyou doctor just one final question if I don't have it removed will it eventually go soft and vanish?
Dr Uzair :

That is a rare occurrence but possible nonetheless.

Dr Uzair :

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Customer: I will thankyou :-)
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.