Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

, I had activity last night but am on the pill but

Customer Question

Hi, I had sexual activity last night but am on the pill but haven't taken it for the past two days but just had my week off for my period and took one pill on the day i was supposed to and then didn't take it for 2 days and am scared that I could pontially get pregnant, am I protected or should I be worried
Becky
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, it is possible that you could get pregnant in this situation. There is still some protection from the previous cycles, but there is a loss of protection compared to the level that is usually provided.

It is recommended that someone that misses two pills in the first few days of a cycle should resume the pills on the usual schedule and use an additional method for birth control for any sexual encounters for the next seven days. The alternative method that is most often used is a condom, But in this case, since the encounter has already occurred, the remaining option would be to use Plan B pills. In that situation, today you would take both the Plan B pills and your usual birth control pills.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Should I get the morning after pill then or just continue to take my pill as normal?
Yes. The Plan B pills that I mentioned above is another name for the morning after pills. Today, you should be taking both the Plan B pills (morning after pills) and your usual birth control pills.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where would be open today that I could get them from?
You would be able to purchase them at any pharmacy, although you may need to ask the staff for them.
If you can tell me where you are located, I can look to see if I can find what may be open in your area.