Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Had UTI.Nitrifuromentoin & cephalectin. Protein normal.Leukocytes&nitites

Customer Question

Had UTI.Nitrifuromentoin & cephalectin. Protein normal.Leukocytes&nitites still not normal
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. I think that you may have opened two customer profiles, as this is the same question as was just asked by another customer. If so, then you can contact customer service and they can merge the profiles or eliminate one of the profiles. And that also would avoid being charged twice.

There are several potential implications of persistence of a UTI despite two course of antibiotics.

The most common reason for a persistent UTI is because of a germ that is resistant to common antibiotics used for a UTI. Unfortunately, we are seeing an increasing number of germs that are resistant. In the majority of people, it is from a germ that will be sensitive to another commonly used antibiotic, such as Bactrim or Cipro. The method for determining if this is the problem would be performing a culture and sensitivity of the urine, which will identify the specific germ and test that germ against various antibiotics.

The is a subset of this problem that involves germs that are getting to be resistant to all of our common antibiotics. At this point, the likelihood of infection from one of these germs is exceedingly low, but for those in whom it has occurred, it can be very difficult to treat, and may require the use of stronger antibiotics that can only be provided intravenously. The culture would also be able to identify whether one of these germs are present.

The other major issue that can cause persistent UTIs would be an anatomic problem that is preventing complete resolution of the infection. In someone with persistent infection and in whom the culture and sensitivity indicates that proper antibiotics have been used, there would be concern that this is the underlying problem, and there should be an evaluation by a Urologist to look for any anatomic problems.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.