Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a swollen knee and ankle, im having therepy at the moment

Customer Question

I have a swollen knee and ankle, im having therepy at the moment but it dosnt do any good could you tell me what the symptoms indicate and could you tell me if there is any thing i can do about it. mrs yvonne hammond
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could first provide some information.
What evaluation has been done for these symptoms thus far?
Has any x-rays or blood tests been done?
What dose of ibuprofen have you been taking?
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

Swelling of the knee and ankle indicate that there is inflammation within these joints. However, there are many different conditions that can cause inflammation within these joints. I asked about the evaluation that has been done since the evaluation may indicate the specific condition. Statistically, the most common condition is osteoarthritis, but there is a long list of other types of arthritis, such as rheumatoid arthritis, gouty arthritis, and psoriatic arthritis.

I also asked about the dose of ibuprofen that was taken because the primary home intervention that can be considered would be a higher dose of the ibuprofen. The over the counter strength of ibuprofen, 200 mg, is reasonable for generic pain relief, such as for a headache. However, there is also a prescription strength of ibuprofen of 800 mg that is intended for relief of inflammation. The frequency of the 800 mg strength is 2-3 times per day, taken with food. If you have been taking the lower over the counter strength, it would be an option to take a greater number of pills to be equivalent to the prescription strength.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.