Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Lower back pain, plus pain spasms in thigh helped by needi

Lower back pain, plus pain spasms in thigh helped by needing
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

Does the pain travel to the thigh and the leg?

Dr Uzair :

Please enter the chat and use reply to respond and interact.

Dr Uzair :

Are you there?

Dr Uzair :

Can you tell me if the pain in the back travels or radiates down the thigh and the to the leg?

Customer:

Yes it usually starts in the back seems to move into the hip and then to thigh.

Dr Uzair :

Sharp pain?

Customer:

Yes when it reaches my thigh stretching the thigh helps but I cant get rid if it

Dr Uzair :

Okay, sound like sciatic nerve compression / sciatica, how long have you had this for and have you been seeing anyone for it?

Customer:

For months doctor gave me codien twice but did not help, an x-ray confirmed signs of Arthritis in lower spine and hips, I should also add I have very bad Arthritis in my knees which I have had for many years.

Dr Uzair :

Alright, this deserves more than just codiene. Here is what I would recommend that you do: You should ask your GP for a referral to a Neurologist, an MR myelogram of the lumbosacral plexus is warranted here. Following that, electrodiagnostic studies including nerve conduction studies and an electromyelogram is required, the later two will confirm the findings on the MRI and also give information on the exact site of compression on the nerve and the extent of that compression.

Dr Uzair :

After we have information on the site and extent of the condition, further treatment can be chalked out.

Dr Uzair :

Conservative medical therapy is instituted including non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) for the inflammation along with physiotherapy and massage therapy and avoidance of certain postures and adjunct pain killers.

Dr Uzair :

Nerve membrane stablizers like Pregabalin and Gabapention can also be prescribed to alleviate the nerve pain.

Dr Uzair :

If this fails to relieve the symptoms then steroid injections in the spine are required, which usually provide relief for about 6 months and this is done by pain management specialist.

Dr Uzair :

If that fails, then the next step will be surgical decompression, this can either be a discectomy or a laminectomy or release of the nerve anywhere along its course where ever it is being compressed.

Customer:

Thank You. You confirm what I have been told trying to arrange private appointment tomorrow. Many Thanks for your input

Dr Uzair :

It was a pleasure.

Dr Uzair :

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Dr Uzair :

Let me know if you have any future concerns as well.

Dr Uzair :

Best wishes.

Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.