Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

In 2009 I was diagnosed with pernicious anaemia and had B12

In 2009 I was diagnosed with pernicious anaemia and had B12 booster injections for a few days and then B12 injections every 2 months with iron tablets, when I moved to a new GP surgery in 2011 my GP told me I needed blood tests and the result was that my GP told me I no longer needed B12 injections or iron tablets and I have been without since 2011. My health has gone down slowly since then and feel ill all the time. I contacted another GP who put me back on to B12 and told me it would be for life. I asked the nurse if I should need another booster of B12 because I had been without for nearly 4 years but she said no I did not need to because I have had them in the past. I had my 1st one on 26th Feb and I did feel the benefits which was fine but it only lasted about a week. I can only have the injection every 3 months My question is could I get a booster and ask for the injection more often.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

There are a lot of replacement regimens available for vitamin B 12 and much depends on what your physician is comfortable with and what you can comply with as well.

Dr Uzair :

Personally, I would have tested your vitamin B 12 levels before starting you on replacement therapy and given a loading dose as well.

Dr Uzair :

You should discuss this with your GP as 3 monthly injections are maintenance rather than replacement shots and maintenance can only be done once the lost stores have been replenished.

Dr Uzair :

Let me know if you have more queries about this by entering the chat and replying.

Dr Uzair :

If you feel that your query has been answered please leave a positive rating for the service.

Dr Uzair :

Best wishes.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
The system showed that you are offline, so I converted this in to a Q and A thread.
I shall paste the above answer here again and you can reply if you have any concerns.
Best wishes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do not understand what you mean my B12 has been tested that is why I got my 1st injection I want to know because, I had been without B12 for nearly 4 years and should I have a booster, when you have pernicious anaemia I was told it had to be for life and I have been poorly for a long time simply because I was taken off it

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I am not satisfied with your answer it did not help at all

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.

Hi, my apologies if I wasn't clear in my answer, let me be more elaborate.

Yes, what I meant was that before starting any replacement whether it is a hormone or a mineral or vitamin, obtaining a baseline level of the deficient component is beneficial. As it gives an idea of how much and how rapidly to replace it. Also, it gives a reference value to which one can compare after a while to see if the replacement is having an effect. In pernicious anemia, the replacement is for life and yes, I think you should have a booster and then be put on maintenance.

Let me know if you have more queries about this.

If you are satisfied, you can leave a positive rating. I shall continue to assist until you have received your answer to your satisfaction.