Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have been taking prescription antidipressents weeks

Hi I have been taking prescription antidipressents for 5 weeks 25mg prothiaden my doctor wants me to change to citalopram to 10mg until I have decreased prothiaden I should decrease slowly so I have been taking only 1 tablet instead of two for a week as she said to decrease dosage and now in my second week of decreasing to every other day after the second week would I have to decrees to every two days or could I start to take citalopram as I haven't been on it that long
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi--you really should check with your doctor but if I were him I'd say that after the two weeks of the taper as you described it you could stop the protiaden and start the citalopram and there shouldn't be any problems with the switch at that point