Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I was on 75mg pregabalin . I had to taper off it

Customer Question

I was on 75mg pregabalin for 3months. I had to taper off it because it caused me to have stomach problems. My neurologist advised me to reduce down to 50 mg for 10 days then take 25mg for 10 days & come off completely. Ever since my last dose I've been experiencing the following withdrawal symptoms; hot sweats, cold sweats, jittery, irritable, few headaches, nausea, loss of appetite, upset stomach, racing heartbeats at night which don't last long. How long will this last. ? I've tappered down so can't understand why getting all these symptoms. Just feel achy, like I've got the flu.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
Why were you put on pregabalin in the first place? I mean what were your symptoms prior to being put on pregabalin?
Also mention your age and gender.
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm 34 female. I was put on it as had a lot of soreness at back of eyes & neurologist classed that as a pain & put me on it to see if it will help settle down the nerves.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to learn that you are suffering so much because of withdrawal symptoms.
Most of these symptoms will usually go away in around five to seven days.
So I would not worry too much.
If your symptoms persist then you would need to be seen as you may require some help in terms of medications to help calm you down.
Medications in form of benzodiazepines like alprazolam may help will usually help with your symptoms.
Let me know if you have more questions.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's been 10 days now & still feel the same. I can't take anymore drugs as my stomach is inflammed as that's why I had to come off pregabalin. Why am I getting these symptoms if I tapered down from the advice of my neurologist ? Can the symptoms last more than 7 days ? I was only on a low dose for a short time.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Withdrawal symptoms can sometimes happen even after withdrawing from the medication slowly.
The best way to withdraw from any medication is to reduce the dose by 10% every week, so it could be that you withdrew a little faster than was required in your case.
Symptoms can last for more than seven days.
You should have been on the low dose for a longer period of time I feel and you should have reduced the dose more slowly than what you eventually did.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just followed the guidance from my neurologist. I started 75mg from early jan till mid feb, he then told me to come down to 50mg for 10 days the to come down to 25mg. I asked him if I need to take a dose & miss a day inbetween for an extra week & he said no completely stop so I did. Will my symptoms eventually go ??
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Yes your symptoms will and should eventually go away.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So has my neurologist advised me wrong about coming down on the doses for 10 days on each ? Do u av a rough idea on how long withdrawal lasts. ?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Withdrawal symptoms should have gone away by now.
I would like that you should be seen for these symptoms.
Sometimes withdrawal symptoms can last for two to three weeks.
But I would recommend that you be seen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'm seeing my GP tmoz, will see what he says. I'm hoping they will eventually go as I don't want to take anymore tablets as having bad acid reflux problems.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
You can take medications for acid reflux like over-the-counter zantac 150 mg twice daily.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the smilies below as that is the only way I am credited for helping you out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will I hopefully start to feel better in 2-3 weeks time then ? The symptoms won't go into months ? Is this about right as I didn't stop abruptly ? And on a low dose for a short time ?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Yes you will start feeling better in about two to three weeks time, most likely.
It won't be months
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's been 10 days so far so I'm hoping things will improve by end of next week. Shall I say one month max ? I'm so glad that I'm not stuck with these symptoms. I'm on lansoporazole 30mg for my acid reflux but been on then for 5 weeks & no improvement. It's inly been a week without pregabalin so do u think that's why stomach hasn't improved ? I'm getting breathing difficulties & sore throat problems from acid. I can also feel a little lump at centre end of eseophagus.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Can you please rate me by clicking on one of the smilies before we proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can u reply first please ?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
It's been 10 days so far so I'm hoping things will improve by end of next week. Shall I say one month max?
Yes one month max. I am hopeful these symptoms should go away in time.
I'm so glad that I'm not stuck with these symptoms. I'm on lansoporazole 30mg for my acid reflux but been on then for 5 weeks & no improvement. It's inly been a week without pregabalin so do u think that's why stomach hasn't improved?
I think that it may also have something to do with you thinking about it too much and your anxiety getting the better of you.
Symptoms like what you are having can happen due to a lot of anxiety as well.
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My stomach acid has been caused by the meds I was taking not anxiety.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Yes it was medications I agree but anxiety may have played some part as well.