Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I have an 88 year old man living in my house, he has heart

I have an 88 year old man living in my house, he has heart disease, (quadruple bypass 17 years ago) kidney and lung disease, very short of breath and type 2 diabetes, diabetic neuropathy , he also has a catheter and bag, he can only walk about 10 steps, has spent 7 weeks in hospital with constipation and has been out 7 weeks, up to now has no inclination of getting dressed and getting about to make himself stronger, sleeps most of day and all night. Can you please give me any answer as to how long he can carry on like this as to get an answer from his own doctor is a waste of time, will his body just give up.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Thanks for this question
I would estimate that he will die very shortly. I am sorry to be so blunt but that is the reality of the situation. His body is shutting down
I would say 1-2 weeks probably. Less than a month for sure