Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

this is the second try. I have a tension headache. I think

Hi this is the second try.
I have a tension headache. I think before I panic. Help !
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Got it mate--so tell me all about this headache
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Same as before.
I get them about every six months. Tense neck then feels like a band that meets at the front above my eyes.
My neck clicks when I move it.
My doc always says. You have had them for ten years mark when you get srptressed.
The last time I had one it lasted daily for a month went when I had a glass of wine and relaxed in the evening came back in the morning. Then it goes completely for ages. The last time I insisted on a ct brain scan. !! You know me. ! It was perfect normal.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Classic description of tension headaches Mark--anything particularly different about this one?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No mate. I havnt had one for ages so it's caught me out a bit. !!! ??? Guess I thought I was clear of them. Are they common
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Fairly common. What was going on when this one hit you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
A bit of work stress tesco cut there budgets on my design contract but not too bad.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--so I can best help you--what scares you about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ohhhhh tell a lie.
I have a blood test tommorow interval 3 month liver. !!!
I guess the usual mate cancer or serious.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--How long has this one been going on and is it with you first thing when you wake up?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No not when I first wake up. Today is the first day. It eases off with a wine or relaxation and my neck is well stiff in fact the pain seems to migrate from the neck.
My sight is sharp my mind is sharp
My temperature is 36 my blood pressure is 100 over 62 pulse 52.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--Nothing more than a typical tension headache. Tumors, bleeds--things like that--just don't act like this my friend. A bleed, for example would mean a servere headache with vision problems, balance problems--lot's of bad things. A tumor wouldn't respond to the wine and relaxation. So basically nothing serious
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They usually last a fair while.
I'm guessing a tumour would be more head than neck pain wise ?
Also the brain scan in October was all normal so that s reassuring ??
My neck is well tense !! Is that the possible cause ? Also my bloods have been excellent especially the esr I'm guessing they would have moved if serious. ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes--tumour=head pain. And yes with the normal ct all's well. It's the neck muscle spasm that's causing all the pain
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just so I don't panic. You mean sudden severe head pain that gets worse. Not a mild headache that stays the same with neck stiffness and pain ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No--the kind of pain that would put you on the ground my friend
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ahhhh ! Well I see.
When I put my head forward the neck pain is quite bad.
So I'm guessing tension in the neck through anxiety I've had em for over a decade yet I still panic every time. !!
You ok to review my bloods tommorow ?
Do you think they will be ok?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
You'll be fine Mark. Let's end this page and sure--show me the blood work tomorrow