Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have recently had a bad cold, hot sweats, aching mucles with

I have recently had a bad cold, hot sweats, aching mucles with non productive couch, however I am finding it a little harder to breathe & this morning a rash appeared on my legs, stomach & wrists. I have done the glass test & the rash disappears when pushed so don't think it's meningitis but think I may need some antibiotics for the chest.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

When did you develop the cold symptoms?

Customer:

Saturday 28th. Started with cough & by Saturday night had hot sweats and aches.

Dr Uzair :

Okay, thank you. This sounds viral more than bacterial.

Dr Uzair :

Bacterial infection demand antibiotics. Viral infections are self limiting and require only supportive treatment.

Dr Uzair :

However, it is prudent here that you go to an ER or an Urgent Care or your GP to have this evaluated.

Customer:

Most of the aching has gone except the constant chest aches, I find it hard to breath if I bend over & inhaler doesn't seem to be easing it. And this morning a rash appeared on my legs, stomach, wrists but nothing on chest or neck or face.

Dr Uzair :

Yes, I understand that. Why are you using an inhaler? Do you have asthma?

Dr Uzair :

Are you there?

Customer:

I have been diagnosed with asthma for many years but never had any attacks that warrant hospitalisation.

Dr Uzair :

Okay. The cold could be causing your asthma to aggravate.

Dr Uzair :

Rashes should ideally be seen by physicians and rashes are mostly due to viral infections.

Dr Uzair :

Although these are self limiting but they require supportive treatment and at least a diagnosis at hand, since nowadays there are viruses that require hospitalization.

Customer:

I am trying to download an image of the rash for you to view.

Dr Uzair :

Sure, that will be helpful.

Dr Uzair :

Do you have any neck stiffness, headaches?

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

I did have stiffness & headache before but not now.

Dr Uzair :

Is this rash itchy?

Customer:

A little but if you ignore it the iching goes away. I also put witch hazel on it.

Dr Uzair :

Alright, does the rash appear to be spreading now or subsiding?

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

The same no more & no less.

Dr Uzair :

Okay, any electric shock like pain?

Customer:

No

Dr Uzair :

And your fever has subsided?

Customer:

Yes, no more temperature.

Dr Uzair :

Okay. This does not look like a meningococcal or septicemic rash.

Dr Uzair :

They are purple and blotchy and usually start as very dark non blanchable spots.

Dr Uzair :

This does not look like chicken pox either, since that is a vesiculopapular rash and is accompanied with intense pain and itching.

Dr Uzair :

This is most likely just another viral rash.

Customer:

Yes. Thought that after looking on the Internet & doing glass test, just the chest really. I surprise I just keep taking the inhaler?

Dr Uzair :

However, the rash is not important, if your symptoms - fever, aches and pains, shivers, headaches have subsided then there is not much to be worried about, viral rashes usually occurs just before the convalescence phase of the illness, which means just when the illness is about to subside.

Customer:

Would the rash be contagious?

Dr Uzair :

For the chest, I am concerned because you have pre existing asthma.

Dr Uzair :

Yes, usually the rash until it scabs is contagious so it is best to avoid contact with children or any immunocompromised or old person around you.

Dr Uzair :

Healthy adults can usually tolerate minor contact.

Dr Uzair :

I would suggest that you start on steam nebulizations with menthol crystals in it four times a day each session for 15 minutes.

Dr Uzair :

Other than that, keep a check on your fever and worsening of the rash, neck stiffness, headaches and confusion or any gum bleeds, if any occur, you should immediately go to the ER.

Customer:

What about pregnant women? I was thinking of returning to work tomorrow if I can get my breathing back to normal but if it is contagious I won't return to work.

Dr Uzair :

Keep yourself hydrated and get some bed rest.

Dr Uzair :

If the rash is there tomorrow, then you should take a day off if possible.

Customer:

Ok. Thank you.

Dr Uzair :

It was a pleasure, keep a low threshold for the Urgent Care and the ER and if you have any concerns let me know, I shall be available on the website.

Dr Uzair :

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Dr Uzair :

Take care and get well soon!