Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

38, female. Taking Zoton 2 weeks. Reflux

38, female. Taking Zoton for reflux for last 2 weeks. Reflux better, however since taking zoton I am tired all the time, with occasional dizzy spells. Working a 10am-4pm day, then going to bed at around 6pm exhausted.i was advised to keep taking zoton. How do I counter the fatigue?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Is this the first medicine that you have taken for reflux?
Or had you tried a different medicine previously? If so, what medicine?
Are you taking any medicines for any other medical problems?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was started on omeprazole, about 4 weeks ago. My gp switched to zoton when omeprazole seemed to give me bad intestinal pain (strong burning feeling). For the first week I was taking colpermin to ease my intestines. I am not taking anything else with the zoton. My stomach feels fine now, no more painful Belching since taking zoton and no stomach discomfort. Only this fatigue, which I didn't have before taking either medication.

Thank you for the additional information.

The first concern in this situation is that the Zoton is causing the fatigue. It is not a common side effect to the Zoton, but the onset of the symptom shortly after starting the drug is suspicious. The fact that you also had side effect to the omeprazole, another medicine in the same drug class, may indicate that you are simply sensitive to this class of drugs.

In that situation, the usual approach would be to stop the drug and use an alternative drug, and specifically one in a different drug class. The medicine that I would usually recommend in this situation would be ranitidine, which is brand name of Zantac in the US.

If your doctor says that the Zoton should be continued despite the side effect, then the other alternative would be to use an antihistamine, which may help to relieve drug reactions. Since you are already fatigued, it would be better to take a non-sedating antihistamine, such as loratidine or cetirizine.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much.

You are very welcome.