Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am female my ferritin level is 427 first time shown up

I am female my ferritin level is 427 first time shown up could this be something I have eaten or something else
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Yes, an elevated ferritin level could be due to a variety of conditions, but a full interpretation would involve consideration of the iron profile.
Was an iron profile also checked?
If so, do you have the results of the iron level, and percent saturation?
Are you having any symptoms or chronic medical problems?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no my iron level was as above 427

I havent been feeling well had pains in my groins and constipation

I already had underactive thyroid

A ferritin is not an iron level. Ferritin is a protein that is involved in iron storage. An iron level and iron saturation would be other tests that would be a different value. If the 427 is the ferritin level, do you have a separate iron profile? If the 427 is the iron level, do you have a separate ferritin level?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have just had bllod tests what would iron come under I dont live in England so the wording maybe not the same

An iron profile usually has three lab results - an iron level, a measure of how much iron the blood can carry, and a percent saturation. The amount of iron the blood can carry can be called several different things, such as iron binding capacity or transferrin level, but the iron level and percent iron saturation are usually called by these terms, and it is actually the percent saturation that is most important in this situation.

Do you see any results with these terms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no I dont do you think I, should ask for a iron profile?

What are the chances it could behemochromatosis

Yes, you need an iron profile, and it is the question of whether hemochromatosis could be present that is the reason that an iron profile is necessary.

As noted above, the ferritin is a protein that is involved in iron storage. It is a distinct protein than transferrin, the protein that is involved in carrying iron in the blood stream. However, both of these proteins have another characteristic in common, in that the levels of both proteins can increase as a generic response to infection or inflammatory conditions. There are actually many of these proteins that are collectively called acute phase proteins or acute phase reactants. So, when you ask whether the ferritin can be increased from other conditions, the answer is clearly yes, and there is a long list of infectious and inflammatory conditions that can do so.

So, the first step in analysis to differentiate whether the increase is due to a generic increase or because of increased iron stores, such as in hemochromatosis, involves a combined analysis with the iron profile. If the ferritin is elevated and the iron saturation is also elevated, then that is indicative of hemochromatosis. But if the ferritin is elevated and the transferrin is elevated, causing the iron saturation to be decreased, then that would indicate that the ferritin and transferrin are both increased as acute phase proteins.

Therefore, the next step would be to obtain an iron profile.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.