Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have woken up the last 3 mornings with chest pain (Central)

I have woken up the last 3 mornings with chest pain (Central) and this stops after a few minutes or when I change position. I have been suffering from reflux for several months although some days it is just excessive burping without acid. I have posture issues and suffer from tense neck muscles frequently too. I had blood pressure and cholesterol yesterday and my blood pressure was 115/78 and total cholesterol was 3.85 my HDL cholesterol was 0.96 with a TC:HDL ration of 4.0. I was told this was no concern but to raise my HDL level by eating oily fish etc. I smoke around 8 cigarettes a day or less. Had ECG 2 years ago that came back normal. Should I worry?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

welcome

Dr. Shahzad MD :

From what you are telling me, it does not sound at all like heart disease or anything serious.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you on anything for your acid reflux?

Customer: That's reassuring! I have health anxiety related to my heart so always assume the worst. I can exercise without pain which I always think is a good sign. I have tight sensation in my throat muscles when I'm anxious and I get tingling in my hands occasionally. Could this all be related to tension?
Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think it is your anxiety that is getting the better of you.

Customer: And I was prescribed omeprazole but don't like taking meds so have been taking magnesium suplements which seem to help
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes, all these symptoms could be related to anxiety.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Plus I would like that you should continue the omeprazole.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I understand that you do not like taking medications but omeprazole is used by millions around the world and it is safe.

Customer: I will start to take it again. Could that be what's causing the pains when waking? The reflux?
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes that can cause chest pain.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Acid reflux is a very common cause of chest pain.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

But at your age and with the kind of pain that you are having particularly with a normal ECG previously, it is not heart disease.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you with me?

Customer: Yes, I think I shall stop worrying and take the omeprazole - do ECGs change much in 2 years?
Dr. Shahzad MD :

No

Dr. Shahzad MD :

ECG does not change much in two years in a 32 year old person.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

To put your mind to rest, you can have the ECG repeated again.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Its a very simple and routine test.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you following me?

Customer: Yes, I think I will treat the reflux and see if that stops the pains. Thanks very much for your reassurance.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Wish you all the best.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the smiley faces below.
Kindest regards