Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I had what felt like a hypoglyacemic-type episode today, I

Customer Question

I had what felt like a hypoglyacemic-type episode today, I suddenly felt really unwell, "on the verge of collapse", shaky, irritable and needed to eat. Shortly after eating I felt better, but still not feeling quite right. My blood sugar level was 90 just before eating (4 hours after breakfast), and 2 hours after lunch it is now 95. I have had these types of "episodes" before and I try to eat regularly to avoid them.
In a recent extesive blood test (re. PMS and CFS) I had a result of Insulin (basal) 18.80 mIE/l (norm 3.21-16.32), all other results were completely fine. My GP has no idea what this means but suggested I check my blood sugar for a few days, which I have been doing.
As I am not due to see him for a little while, I was wondering if the two could be connected - my "episodes" and the insulin levels. And what could they both mean.
Apart from today's, the other measurements were as follows:
first thing in the morning/2 hr after breakfast/before lunch/2 hr after lunch/before supper/2 hr after supper/at bedtime: 105/116/99/98/120/98/107 and another day 98/83/101/100/88/97/? (mostly lower after eating).
I would be greaful for an answer about the sudden feeling unwell/needing to eat, sugar levels, and the insulin level. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Do you take any meds?
what is the lowest blood sugar you have had?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I take no medicines whatsoever, apart from the odd paracetamol or ibuprofen - very rarely - for headaches. I've only taken the masurements the last few days, and the lowest it has been is around 80, but I have been eating very regularly. I also have big problems losing weight, and whenever I reduce my portions and calorie intake or try diet shakes, I end up feeling really awful really quickly.

Basically your insulin secretion is too high
your body is making too much insulin.
you need to be checked for an insulinoma. This is an insulin secreting growth on the pancreas
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is this what would cause my "episodes" as well? And Inability to lose weight?

Yes, that is very possible
you need this worked up a bit more
Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it
If you have more questions, just reply
I appreciate the excellent rating.
I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/
I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Dr Phil. Following your reply to my question last week, I have done a few more blood sugar tests and also some reading on the internet (not a good idea, I know). And I have more questions (please treat this as a new question of course).

Firstly, my blood sugar definitely is lower 2 hours after eating than just before eating, and it seems to stay in the range of 81-99, usually mid-high 80s to low 90s. Today for instance 99 first thing, 92 2hr after breakfast, 84 before lunch. I have researched low GI foods and have been eating these but it makes no difference to the readings, or to how I feel. I also had a couple more mild "episodes" of feeling irritated and confused and needing to eat, despite eating regularly.

The advice I found on the internet is confusing (of course) - some websites say that low blood sugar (below 70) can be very dangerous and lead to passing out, seizures etc., while some other websites say that low blood sugar in people who don't take insulin or other diabetic medication, is not dangerous. Some say that if my blood sugar is below 100 when I plan to go out or especially drive a car, I should eat something to avoid an accident. Well my blood sugar is never above 100... So which of these is true/relevant?

Also, I will be making an appointment to see my GP, but do I need to make it urgently?

And what sort of foods should I eat in the meantime? Low GI? Any high carb snacks in between meals? I already have trouble losing weight...

I am confused...Please help clarify this for me. Thank you.

(P.S. I am also thinking whether my Chronic Fatigue may actually have something to do with this sugar business???)

please accept additional services to continue Olga.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The link wasn't there before, but has just appeared. I have accepted it. Please continue. Thank you.

I haven't received it yet
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just confirmed it again, didn't go through the first time.

Also, just checked my blood sugar (2 hr after lunch) and it is down to 80.

No, definitely not. These numbers are not concerning. I only get worried below 60.
And what sort of foods should I eat in the meantime? Low GI?
I would try to eat several small meals during the day. Low GI foods for sure. Brown rice, wheat bread, etc.