Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Disgusting strange look white tiny bumps on my face

Customer Question

Dear doctor, two days ago, on my face there were several white small bumps, gathering together, appeared. This is not the first time I have them. I notice if I sleep on a (just a bit) dirty pillow, those pumps will appear. There is always a biggest one in the centre and smaller tiny ones surrounding, which looks really disgusting to me. They hurt when I touch, and from past experience, they will disappear by themselves (disappear more quickly if I apply a hot wet cotton pad on, I'm not sure if this is a right way to do, please advise too), but leave a red mark which will take ages to fade. I would like to know what they are. And also I want to know if the red marks on my face are acne scar or Post-inflammatory Hyperpigmentation. Those marks have been there for more than a year. For other people, it only take a couple of weeks for post acne mark fade, but it would take me a year. I wonder what's wrong with my skin. Thank you very much.

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
still need help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, please. No one has answered my question.

do you have a pic of the white bumps?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think this is acne. No more no less
I recommend you get on some prescription therapy for this
I would use retin-A or clindamycin gel
if that doesn't work then oral minocycline
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Most of white tiny bumps have disappeared. It used to have one biggest one and 7,8 tiny ones surrouding. And 1 or 2 tiny bumps here and there on my face. And I only get it if I sleep onto an unclean pillow.

So acne can be like this? I mean it's pretty strange look to me as they appear gathering like that.

Yes, absolutely it can be
I'm quite sure that is what it is
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, thank you very much. I feel quite relieved as I thought it could be some kind of virus.

Here two photos of my two cheeks. Can you have a look please? Are the marks on my face acne scars or just post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. They have been there for a year. Even though they do get better over time, but the rate is very slow. May I ask the treatment for quicker result? Thank you.

It is actually a mix
you have some acne scars, some post inflammatory hyperpigmentation and some active acne
I would get the acne under control first and see what is remaining.
please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is glycolic acid peel 10% a good way to deal with them? Can I use vitamin c serum too? I'm having a skinoren tube, rarely use it as it irritates my skin, should I use it regularly to clear acne?

I don't think those things will work
you need prescription strength medicine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can you suggest the medicine please?

I suggested it a few posts ago
retin-A or clindamycin gel or both
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry about that.

what is the streng of retin-A should it be?

.05%
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)