Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Wisdom tooth infection with blood mixed with my

3 days ago I started taking antibiotics (amoxicillin 250mg x 2 three times a day and metronidazole 200mg x 2 three times a day) and a painkiller called ponstan also 250mg x 2 three times a day. I was told to give it a week to see if the infection goes away and if the pain and discomfort remains that would be an indication I need the wisdom tooth removed (my top right wisdom tooth). The thing is my whole right side is obviously soar and swollen, especially the right gland just under my chin, and for 3 days now when I blow my nose the snot is mixed with blood. Is this normal when one suffers from a wisdom tooth infection?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

Yes, it is common for someone with an infected tooth or tooth abscess to have pain and swelling affecting the entire right side including under the chin. Blood from the nose also can occur, although it is not as common as the pain affecting the entire side.

It is also true that the swelling associated with an infected tooth can place pressure on the ducts that drain the salivary glands, which can cause pain and swelling in the salivary gland itself, and one of the major salivary glands is located under the chin.

As long as all of these symptoms resolve with the antibiotics, then there is no reason for concern.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.