Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

a family friend discovered a lump the size of a golf ball

Customer Question

Hi a family friend discovered a lump the size of a golf ball in the right breast and has been recentley blood tested and the gp sent for urgent mammogram and since then will be going into hospital within the week to remove the golf size lump and will be told of the outcome the same day, is this normal procedure and shouyld we be worried as we are unsure what percentage this could be maglimant
many thanks
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi How old is your friend?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

about 55 years old and her mum died at 65 from breat cancer

thanks

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Bonny. In general only 5% of breast masses are malignant although the size of her lump is concerning since the larger it is the more of a chance it's malignant. Given the size I'd have to up her chances of it's being malignant to about 10%. It will take removing it and getting the pathology to determine if it is malignant and, if it is, she'll need radiation therapy and chemotherapy.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

great thank you

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure