Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I have stiffness in my neck when I turn to the left and it

I have stiffness in my neck when I turn to the left and it also hurts where my chest meets my left arm but this is not constant. I can also feel an ache in my back around the shoulder blade area but again this is not constant.When this pain occurs it can also affect my left arm but this feels like a muscular pain. I have had this problem for about 4/5 days. Any ideas?
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort & pain in neck & arm. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:
The symptoms of stiffness in neck,pain during movements of neck,ache in back around the shoulder blade area yu are having since last 4-5 days is most probably due to a condition called cervical spondylitis and/or spondylosis.
It is most likely caused by age-related changes in the intervertebral disks.It is generally caused by the compression of spinal nerves. Any compromise of the nerve space in the spinal column can lead to compression of the nerve endings and can cause the pain in neck radiating upto upper arm along the nerve.
Another possibility of this acute pain is muscular stretch.
You need tests like:like electromyography(EMG) and nerve conduction studies,x-ray neck are required to make the exact diagnosis.
This does not seem to be due to heart disease or anything dangerous or serious.
Treatment includes soft cervical collar, analgesics, anti-inflammatory, local heat, possibly traction and isometric exercises.
As you have a knee replacement operation on next Saturday,I advise you to discuss it with your doctor & then treatment will be done accordingly.
If the pain becomes worse,then you need to report to your doctor earlier.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for this - I'm not sure what spondylosis is - are there any other symptoms that would be noticeable for this condition?

Dear Customer,
Thank you for asking follow up question.
Due to wear & tear of discs,small pain-sensitive nerves grow into the disc and pressure on these produces neck ache.There may be abnormal growths or "spurs" on the vertebrae.
Pain in beck of neck radiating to either arm is usually the first & typical symptom of cervical spondylitis and/or spondylosis.
Other symptoms may include:numbness or tingling sensation in the affected arm.
X-ray of neck & electromyography(EMG) is usually required for the confirmation of diagnosis.
Apply heat in the form of a warm wash cloth applied to the area for 10 minutes or so 2 or 3 times a day increase blood flow to the area allowing to subside the inflammation & provide relief from ache & pain.
Hope this helped.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert