Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have a tortuous/redundant large intestine which is very long

I have a tortuous/redundant large intestine which is very long and loopy,I am getting a lot of gas trapped high up in large intestine which I cannot release and this causes me to reflux, and feel permantly full
Is there any medical procedure that can get rid of the gas I am presently in hospital with this as I am struggling to eat and drink with it.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
What is your age and gender?
Do you have any other medical problems?
Are you on any medications for anything at the moment?
How are your stools? Are they normal?
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stools are normal, colonoscopy and endoscopy all fine
Age 51
Gender female
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Since how long are you having this problem?
What medications have you used so far, if any?
Have you had an ultrasound of your abdomen to have a look at your gallbladder?
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ct scan shows whole of large intestine fully dilated with gas, but gas sitting in rectum not passing flatus, it's as though when large intestine is full of gas it does not move, then when the gas is greatly diminished the large intestine rolls up and down like a deflated trier causing massive pain and reflux. Why?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Have you been put on any medications for this problem ever?
Please enumerate the medications that you are on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just been put on Reglan never been on it before and it does not help
Developed tortuous bowel in last 16 months previous colonoscopy then showed normal bowel
Could be tortuous due to bacterial overgrowth producing too much gas and stretching the bowel
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Yes, bacterial overgrowth certainly is a possibility and a course of antibiotic for a couple of weeks may help.
I would also like that you should be put on something like prilosec 40 mg once daily for two to four weeks (this is over-the-counter).
I was thinking about bacterial over growth as the cause of your symptoms and there is no harm in giving a couple of weeks course of an antibiotic.
Let me know if you have more questions.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the smilies below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the bowel is now overstretched does this then mean it spasms and rolls when collapsed?
Also are there are tests which actually show the large intestine in motion so I can see if it's gas causing the spasms?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
There are tests for bacterial overgrowth like a hydrogen breath test.
There is no such thing medically as an overstretched bowel and it will not roll or collapse.
There are no such tests like what you are mentioning.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the smilies below before we proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it then the gas I am feeling going up and down the bowel pushing and spasaming?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is gas that is causing the problem most likely.
Please rate me before we proceed.
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine