Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Is it possible to have an adverse reaction to a medication

Is it possible to have an adverse reaction to a medication I've been taking for eight months without problems?
I'm taking Spasmex for incontinence. The active ingredient is Trospium Chloride.
The symptons I've had for the last few days fit in with a lot of what's written on the leaflet about adverse reactions.
I prefer not to stop taking it but as it is to treat an aesthetic problem and not a health issue,I will if it's neseccary.
Thank you for your advice
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Customer: Did you see my question?
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

What is the symptom that is bothering you at the moment?

Customer: Please could you send me an answer
Dr. Shahzad MD :

I am here to answer all your questions.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Before I answer your questions, can you please let me know what adverse effects are you experiencing?

Customer: Sticky throat,dry mouth nausea,abdominal pain,dioreaa
Customer: It comes and goes.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

The sticky throat and dry mouth along with nausea can all happen with this medication

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If it is bothering you a lot then you should try reducing the dose and see if that helps.

Customer: but my question is - does it make sense that I would start having an adverse reaction to a medication I've been taking with no problems without problems?
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes, adverse effects to this medication can happen after a long period of time as well.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So yes it is possible.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Do you take any other medications?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Or have you started taking any new medication recently?

Customer: Should I try taking the tablet only once every two or three days instead of every day?
Customer: and will it continue to treat the problem I'mtaking it for if I take it less?
Dr. Shahzad MD :

The only way we will know for sure is to lower the dose and see if it is really helping you.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So we can try and reduce the dose as you say and see if it is still helping you.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

We have to find the minimum dose that has good effects.

Customer: Yes I also take Metformin
Customer: Yes I also take Metformin twice a day
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Ok

Dr. Shahzad MD :

and when was this started?

Customer: June last year
Dr. Shahzad MD :

ok

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that you should try reducing the dose of spasmex and see if that helps.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Reducing the dose will most likely help.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you with me?

Customer: So would every two or three days instead of every day be your advice?
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Or take half a tablet everyday

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Reduce the dose from one tablet to half a tablet

Dr. Shahzad MD :

and see if that helps

Customer: Ok thanks.I'll try that
Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Wish you all the best.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the smiley faces below.
Kindest regards

Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.