Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

How can trapped gas high up in a redundant colon be released

How can trapped gas high up in a redundant colon be released for relief both on a temporary and on a permanent basis please?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Can you tell me more about this please? What are your symptoms and what studies have you had for this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have had colonoscopy, x ray and ct scan and endoscopy, all were normal, apart from very long and loopy colon.
Gas is trapped high up in colon and can't be released by rectal tube due to the loops, ng was tried but not significant gas in stomach
Have bacterial overgrowth, what is a long term solution to get rid of gas, prokinetics not working?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well we can continue after this if you'd like but if the therapies have not relieved the problem, I personally would suggest, were you my patient, that you have a partial colectomy to resect the redundant part of your colon. Usually in cases like yours that should solve the gas problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And what if the whole colon is redundant?
Is there a procedure where you can vent gas from the colon on a permanent basis?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, a patient can do fine just with the sigmoid colon left behind. But the only other way to vent colon gas that way would be with a colostomy but the partial colectomy would make much more sense