Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

. My son, who's 8 has had a cough 2 months. He's

Hi. My son, who's 8 has had a cough for over 2 months. He's fine in himself and he's been to see the local GP twice, who says his lungs are clear. But I'm getting a little worried now since it's not clearing. What do you think I should do?
Nia
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Hasan :

Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you.

Dr. Hasan :

Have they done any tests so far?

Dr. Hasan :

Does he has symptoms like nasal obstruction, nasal discharge, headache etc?

Dr. Hasan :

Does he cough more at night and is it dry or a cough with phlegm?

Customer: Hi. It's a dry cough, no phlegm. It's intermittent. It can come at any time, when he's lying down watching tv eg. But he will cough mor often than not if he's doing any physical activity. He went to see the local GP 2 months ago and was prescribed a course of anti- biotics, which he completed. The doctor said that it may take up to 6 weeks to clear, but we're well over that time- frame now. He went back to the doctor's 2 weeks ago and the nurse said that his lungs were clear. He's not in pain anywhere. He has complained of having a headache from time to time and of feeling tired.
Dr. Hasan :

Does he complain of any bad taste or breath in mouth?

Dr. Hasan :

Any history of pain abdomen?

Dr. Hasan :

Are you with me?

Customer: No abdominal pain. He hasn't complained of a bad taste but he's not with me right now. He's coming back home at 12. I could ask him then.
Dr. Hasan :

No problem. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want.

Dr. Hasan :

As per symptoms there can be few causes. Most likely it can be acid reflux from the stomach. It is a very common cause of chronic cough and specially in children it is a well documented cause. The other causes which are less likely but equally possible are allergic cough, mild asthma or a sinus infection. In reflux causing cough, there may not be any pain abdomen and people quite frequently present with cough only.

Dr. Hasan :

Same is true for sinus infection. There may not be any sinus symptom other than cough.

Dr. Hasan :

So in my opinion, you should get him seen by a child specialist.

Dr. Hasan :

cough for 2 months needs investigations like chest and sinus x rays. Blood complete picture and ESR.

Dr. Hasan :

This should not be ignored because cough is just a symptom and reason behind it, should be investigated.

Dr. Hasan :

GP is not the best person to see for this.

Dr. Hasan :

But i reassure you that nothing sounds serious so please don't stress yourself.

Dr. Hasan :

I have addressed your primary concern but I am here to assist you anytime.

Dr. Hasan :

You can add any info later on when your son comes back.

Dr. Hasan :

I wish him good luck and that he gets well soon.

Dr. Hasan :

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Customer: Thank you. How can I get back to you and do you know if there's any way to save your answer? This service hasn't asked me for a password ***** anything.
Dr. Hasan :

You are most welcome. You can save this link and can get back to me even after you have rated the answer.

Dr. Hasan :

http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/90uly-son-who-s-cough-months-he-s.html?src=dn

Dr. Hasan :

Check if this link brings you to the same page.

Customer: Thanks. Yes it does. In the meantime, do you know how I can find a child specialist un my area. I live in north Wales and my postcode is: LL551SE
Dr. Hasan :

Ok let me check.

Customer: I'm so grateful. Thank you
Dr. Hasan :

I am trying to search for you.

Dr. Hasan :

Please wait

Dr. Hasan :

http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sitesplus/861/page/41577

Dr. Hasan :

You can visit here if it suits you.

Dr. Hasan :

Please get back to me once you have visited the site.

Customer: OK
Dr. Hasan :

Dr. Hasan :

Is it near you.