DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

our daughter is 54 years of age and has had two cancer ops

our daughter is 54 years of age and has had two cancer ops which appear to have been successful and a hysterectomy but kept her ovaries against surgical advice. For some months now she has been having terrible attacks similar to a heart attack but they say its due to sudden massive surges of adrenalin, they did 3 day urine tests for a tumour on a kidney, long word starting with "P" but the tests were apparently not that and as the local consultants are not very good they have no further suggestions. Prior to the test results she asked for and we offered to pay for a scan but they said it was unnecessary but now because they have no ideas they have scheduled a scan for two weeks time but the state she is in we doubt that she will still be alive.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I am not sure what question you are asking.
Should she have a scan of the ovaries? Yes.
Is her pain from the ovaries: not likely.
Could her pain be from heart? Probably not if she has had a negative stress test.
Esophageal spasm, reflux disease, muscular pain, these can all cause this type of pain, as can panic attacks.
Let me know what other questions you have. Use "reply to expert."
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it is not the "pain" but the horrendous feeling which they say is e vastly elevated adrenalin levels but as it wasn't a kidney tumour they have admitted they don't know where to go next

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
OK
What is your question for us at this point?
Given my above post?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have told you what she has had done, the symptoms and effects she has the cause they thought of her illness ie a tumour on her kidney which the test was negative, the fact they now say they have no further ideas so we are looking for a suggestion from an experienced Dr on a different continent ie yourself.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I made some suggestions above.
She needs the ovaries scanned.
She needs to have esophageal spasm ruled out.
Panic attacks need to be ruled out.
In addition:
The blood test she should have had for adrenal excess is called serum metanephrines.
Also, thyroid studies for hyperthyrodism.
In rare cases carcinoid syndrome, and this requires urine testing.
Mention all of these to her doctors.
All can easily be tested for.
As I also said above, if she has not had a cardiac stress test, this is required.